Dashboards & Visualizations

How to create a pivot table in a dashboard from a search?

DLT76
Path Finder

I have a dashboard with this query:

| dbxquery connection=abcd-local query="SELECT DATE_FORMAT(date(dts),GET_FORMAT(DATE,'USA')) as rate_date, category_id, count(*) FROM url_directory WHERE category_id in (1,2,3) and dts >= now() - INTERVAL 1 MONTH group by rate_date, category_id" | eval category_id = case(
category_id=="1", "Scam",
category_id=="2", "Phishing",
category_id=="3", "Malicious",
1==1, category_id)

It returns a table like this:

Scam 5 2/1/2023
Phishing 18 2/1/2023
Malicious 23 2/1/2023
Scam 8 2/2/2023
Phishing 12 2/2/2023
Malicious 17 2/2/2023

I want to turn that table into a Pivot Table like this:

Scam Phishing Malicious
2/1/2023 5 18 23
2/2/2023 8 12 17

What can I add to the query (or how can I change the query) to create that pivot table in a dashboard?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The problem is that your field name for count is actually "count(*)" and the chart command is doing sum(count) and there is no 'count' field.

Unfortunately you can't have a useable field with a wildcard in it - you cannot rename it and you cannot use it in other functions, so change your count(*) to

.... count(*) as count ...

and then use the original chart command I gave

View solution in original post

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use chart

| chart sum(count) as count over rate_date by category_id

Then if you want to rearrange your columns, use the table command

0 Karma

DLT76
Path Finder

When I append that string to the end of my query, it returns "No results found." pretty quickly.  When I remove it, I get data.  Any ideas?

Thank you for your help.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you show your splunk table with that data. I assumed from your SQL/SPL that you have 3 fields

count, rate_date, category_id

If you don't have those fields, you need to tailor the chart accordingly

0 Karma

DLT76
Path Finder

These are the fields in the table:

auto_cascade
buff_status
category_id
directory
domain
dts
norateflag
port
regex_unrated_value
regexid
review_later
root_domain_id
source
type
url

Thanks so much!

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So when you are doing

| dbxquery connection=abcd-local query="SELECT DATE_FORMAT(date(dts),GET_FORMAT(DATE,'USA')) as rate_date, category_id, count(*) FROM url_directory WHERE category_id in (1,2,3) and dts >= now() - INTERVAL 1 MONTH group by rate_date, category_id" 

the field that is showing as "2/1/2023" - what is that? In the above, I assume it's rate date, but you don't list that field in your list of fields and your data example only shows 3 bits of information, e.g.

Scam 5 2/1/2023

so something's not right - what is the name of the field in your data that corresponds to 2/1/2023 from the list of fields you posted?

0 Karma

DLT76
Path Finder

It originates from the dts field based on this part of the original query:

DATE_FORMAT(date(dts),GET_FORMAT(DATE,'USA')) as rate_date

I should have shown the example in the actual format the query displays it in:  02.01.2023.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In your original question you posted an example of a table containing

Scam 5 2/1/2023

which has 3 fields.

My suggestion to use

| chart sum(count) as count over rate_date by category_id

is based on assuming the '5' is in a field called 'count', the "Scam" is in the field called category_id and the 2/1/2023 (or 2.1.2023) is in a field called rate_date.

Does your table look like this, with the column headings as shown or is it something different?

bowesmana_0-1676500133378.png

You simply need to use the names of the fields in your table in the corresponding chart command above.

0 Karma

DLT76
Path Finder

I think I'm not using the right words. My apologies. This is all a bit confusing. Let me start from the top with some better examples. Be aware that I might not be using the right Splunk or SQL terminology.

We have a database table with data that I want to display like an Excel pivot table would.

Here's a subset of the table with actual column names (fields?) and some sample data:

category_id url dts
1 scamurl1 2/1/2023
1 scamurl2 2/1/2023
2 phishingurl1 2/2/2023
2 phishingurl2 2/3/2023
3 maliciousurl1 2/3/2023
1 scamurl3 2/3/2023
3 maliciousurl2 2/4/2023
2 phishingurl3 2/4/2023
2 phishingurl4 2/4/2023

What I'd like to do is display this data in a dashboard that looks like this:

Date Scam Phishing Malicious
2/1/2023 2 0 0
2/2/2023 0 1 0
2/3/2023 1 1 1
2/4/2023 0 2 1

In other words, I want to create a pivot table that has a row for each day (going back one month) and displays a count of the URLs in each category that day. And I want that pivot table to show aliases for the category numbers at the top.

Is that doable? I sure appreciate your time and assistance.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please take and post a screenshot of the data you can see immediately after your initial SPL example code in your first post showing what the first few lines of the table are.

0 Karma

DLT76
Path Finder

Here you go:

DLT76_0-1676502955368.png

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The problem is that your field name for count is actually "count(*)" and the chart command is doing sum(count) and there is no 'count' field.

Unfortunately you can't have a useable field with a wildcard in it - you cannot rename it and you cannot use it in other functions, so change your count(*) to

.... count(*) as count ...

and then use the original chart command I gave

DLT76
Path Finder

That worked!  Thank you for your patience helping me diagnose the issue.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Great, glad we got there in the end!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...