Dashboards & Visualizations

How to create a map visualization from geom statistics?

summitsplunk
Communicator

I've constructed a query to show "users who logged in from outside the US" below:

| iplocation ipaddr | where Country != "United States" | geom geo_countries | search Country=* | stats count by actor_user_name,Country

This query is working and the statistics show :
actor_user_name, Country, Count?

Is it possible to make this data show up correctly on like a Cluster Map? Currently when I click on "Visualization" it shows a map but has nothing plotted.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@summitsplunk iplocation should give you country detail as well, there is no need for geom (you need cluster map and not choropleth map)
From performance perspective you should do stats first followed by iplocation and then finally geostats if you want to plot data on Cluster Map. Try the following search and confirm:

<yourBaseSearch> ipaddr=* actor_user_name=*
| stats count by ipaddr actor_user_name
| iplocation clientip
| search Country!="United States"
| geostats sum(count) as count by user

View solution in original post

niketn
Legend

@summitsplunk iplocation should give you country detail as well, there is no need for geom (you need cluster map and not choropleth map)
From performance perspective you should do stats first followed by iplocation and then finally geostats if you want to plot data on Cluster Map. Try the following search and confirm:

<yourBaseSearch> ipaddr=* actor_user_name=*
| stats count by ipaddr actor_user_name
| iplocation clientip
| search Country!="United States"
| geostats sum(count) as count by user

niketn
Legend

@summitsplunk if this answer has helped please accept to mark this question as answered. If you need further details please let us know.

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...