Dashboards & Visualizations

How to create a line graph in XML that displays the (latest time - earliest time) which would be the duration.

alanxu
Communicator

Background: Every day, I run a script on a log file which filters it into another file. I then indexed the filtered file. So I want to create a line graph that takes the earliest time and latest time (first line and last line of the filtered file) and display it on a line graph.

For example: In the log file I will have...

2013-06-20 03:12:30,001 INFORMATION Begin TITLE OF SCRIPT
 2013-06-20 04:12:30,001 INFORMATION Finished TITLE OF SCRIPT

So the fields I have at the moment are..... Date = 2013-06-20, date_hour=04, date_minute=12, date_second=30, position=finished

What I have so far for my search is...

<row>
     <panel>
       <chart>
         <title>Completion Time</title>
         <searchString>host=.... source=.... | stats max(_time) AS Latest min(_time) AS Earliest | eval temp=Latest - Earliest | table temp | makemv temp | mvexpand temp | rename temp as _time | eval Series=1</searchString>
         <earliestTime>$timetoken.earliest$</earliestTime>
         <latestTime>$timetoken.latest$</latestTime>
         <search>
           <query>host=.... source=..... | stats max(_time) AS Latest min(_time) AS Earliest | eval temp=Latest - Earliest | table temp | makemv temp | mvexpand temp | rename temp as _time | eval Series=1</query>
           <earliest>$timetoken.earliest$</earliest>
           <latest>$timetoken.latest$</latest>
         </search>
                 <option name="charting.chart">line</option>
                 <option name="charting.axisY2.enabled">false</option>
                 <option name="charting.axisLabelsX.majorLabelStyle.overflowMode">ellipsisNone</option>
                 <option name="charting.axisLabelsX.majorLabelStyle.rotation">0</option>
                 <option name="charting.axisTitleX.visibility">visible</option>
                 <option name="charting.axisTitleY.visibility">visible</option>
                 <option name="charting.axisTitleY2.visibility">visible</option>
                 <option name="charting.axisX.scale">linear</option>
                 <option name="charting.axisY.scale">linear</option>
                 <option name="charting.axisY2.scale">inherit</option>
                 <option name="charting.chart.bubbleMaximumSize">50</option>
                 <option name="charting.chart.bubbleMinimumSize">10</option>
                 <option name="charting.chart.bubbleSizeBy">area</option>
                 <option name="charting.chart.nullValueMode">zero</option>
                 <option name="charting.chart.sliceCollapsingThreshold">0.01</option>
                 <option name="charting.chart.stackMode">default</option>
                 <option name="charting.chart.style">shiny</option>
                 <option name="charting.drilldown">all</option>
                 <option name="charting.layout.splitSeries">0</option>
                 <option name="charting.legend.labelStyle.overflowMode">ellipsisMiddle</option>
                 <option name="charting.legend.placement">right</option>
                 <option name="charting.axisTitleY.text">Completion Time</option>
                 <option name="charting.drilldown">all</option>
             </chart>
     </panel>
   </row>
Tags (3)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try something like this:

... | rex "(?<BeginTime>\d+-\d+-\d+-\s+\d+:\d+:\d+),\d+\s+INFORMATION Begin\s+(?<ScriptTitle>.*)" | rex "(?<EndTime>\d+-\d+-\d+-\s+\d+:\d+:\d+),\d+\s+INFORMATION Finished\s+(?<ScriptTitle>.*)" | reverse | streamstats current=t last(BeginTime) AS BeginTime by ScriptTitle | where isnotnull(EndTime) | eval duration = strptime(EndTime, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") - strptime(BeginTime, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") | timechart span=1h avg(duration) BY ScriptTitle

alanxu
Communicator

I will try this right now. Just need to change your answer a little because the informaation given above it off.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

How did it work?

0 Karma

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Might not be the most performant command but, assuming the files have different names and you have that position field you can try:

| transaction source startswith="position=begin" endswith="position=finished"

This will create a duration field.

------------
Hope I was able to help you. If so, some karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Just |timechart duration or |table _ time duration and you get a chart with all durations over time

------------
Hope I was able to help you. If so, some karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

alanxu
Communicator

So it will create the duration field would it automatically become a dot on a line graph?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...