Dashboards & Visualizations

How to create a dashboard on uptime reporting for management?

mmacdonald70
Explorer

I have been asked to come up with a dashboard for my management team. I am trying to pull it from some Nagios performance stats. The data has an icmp poll against every network device on the network, every 5 minutes. The data looks like this:

June 4 00:00:00 host_name = switch1 loss=0%
June 4 00:00:00 host_name = switch2 loss=100%
June 4 00:05:00 host_name = switch1 loss=0%
June 4 00:05:00 host_name = switch2 loss=0%

I created the following search

| eval ping_up=if(loss!="100%", 100,0) 
| stats avg(ping_up_ as uptime 
| eval uptime=round(uptime,2) 
| eval uptime = uptime 
| "%"

First of all, this doesn't seem very efficient. Second of all, now they are asking for a monthly trend over the past 2 years as well as a real-time dashboard (ie current uptime is X%). I can't seem to find a way to do these without a huge hit to the system.

0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

For your "real-time" dashboard, you can use this . Change earliest to your liking. Display this as a single value and set the formatting there.

index=logs earliest=1h@h | convert num(loss) as uptime | stats avg(uptime) as uptime 

For the monthly trend

index=logs earliest=2y@y | convert num(loss) as uptime | timechart span=1mon avg(uptime) as uptime | eval uptime=tostring(uptime, "commas")."%"

To make this more efficient, you can save this as an accelerated report OR create a summary index and use that.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

For your "real-time" dashboard, you can use this . Change earliest to your liking. Display this as a single value and set the formatting there.

index=logs earliest=1h@h | convert num(loss) as uptime | stats avg(uptime) as uptime 

For the monthly trend

index=logs earliest=2y@y | convert num(loss) as uptime | timechart span=1mon avg(uptime) as uptime | eval uptime=tostring(uptime, "commas")."%"

To make this more efficient, you can save this as an accelerated report OR create a summary index and use that.

0 Karma

mmacdonald70
Explorer

I tried changing it to:

index=logs earliest=1h@h | convert num(loss) as uptime| eval uptime=(100-uptime) | stats avg(uptime) as uptime 

That seems to work

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Either that, or in your rename the fields to downtime 🙂

0 Karma

mmacdonald70
Explorer

Thanks. This looks much better, except that loss is actually packet loss (0% loss is good). This search gives me 0% uptime when I should be getting 100%. Any suggestions on reversing it?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...