Dashboards & Visualizations

How to create a chart with Begin datetime in x axis and end Datetime in Y axis

roysoman
Engager

I have a following query
SEARCH |eval starttime=if(searchmatch("Command-line options for this run"), _time, null())|eval endtime=if(searchmatch("Run ended successfully with exit code 0"), _time, null())| transaction Host,sourcetype, startswith="Command-line options for this run" endswith="Run ended successfully with exit code 0"| eval BeginDateTime=strftime(starttime, "%m/%d/%y %I:%M:%S:%p") | eval FinishDateTime=strftime(endtime, "%m/%d/%y %I:%M:%S:%p") | table BeginDateTime FinishDateTime

Which display BeginDateTime FinishDateTime values properly, But when I try to create a chart from that , its not pulling correct value into Y axis,, Tried timechart and chart options . No luck.. can you help

BeginDateTime↕  FinishDateTime↕

12/02/19 09:15:12:PM 12/03/19 02:59:29:AM
12/01/19 09:15:13:PM 12/02/19 04:16:31:AM
11/30/19 09:15:11:PM 12/01/19 04:12:12:AM
11/29/19 09:15:10:PM 11/30/19 01:49:18:AM
11/28/19 09:15:13:PM 11/29/19 02:07:20:AM
11/27/19 09:15:13:PM 11/28/19 02:44:00:AM
11/26/19 09:15:10:PM 11/27/19 04:47:54:AM

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I just saw that you'd like to do time in both axes. The only way to do this is either to find a custom visualization tool on SplunkBase (filter by App Contents -> Visualizations ) or to abuse the scatterplot visualization in core Splunk. Here is a post to get you started on the latter:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/785029/what-is-the-best-way-to-get-100ish-greeenyellowred.html

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I just saw that you'd like to do time in both axes. The only way to do this is either to find a custom visualization tool on SplunkBase (filter by App Contents -> Visualizations ) or to abuse the scatterplot visualization in core Splunk. Here is a post to get you started on the latter:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/785029/what-is-the-best-way-to-get-100ish-greeenyellowred.html

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Never use transaction in a production search. Try this:

SEARCH
| eval starttime=if(searchmatch("Command-line options for this run"), _time, null())
| eval endtime=if(searchmatch("Run ended successfully with exit code 0"), _time, null())
| stats min(_time) AS _time max(_time) AS endtime range(_time) AS duration count BY Host sourcetype
| fieldformat BeginDateTime=strftime(_time, "%m/%d/%y %I:%M:%S:%p") 
| fieldformat FinishDateTime=strftime(endtime, "%m/%d/%y %I:%M:%S:%p")

Then this will work

... | table BeginDateTime FinishDateTime

And alternatively (not sequentially) so will this:

... | timechart Your stuff here

The reason that timechart is failing is that you are throwing away (or modifying) _time.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...