Dashboards & Visualizations

How to change the default local for the web UI

ByteFlinger
Engager

From the little documentation I can find, it seems that Splunk Search head Web UI will attempt to use the locale configure in your browser.

I am in an european country which language is not supported in Splunk so the UI keeps defaulting to en_US.

How do I tell Splunk to default to en_GB (Or one of the other support Splunk languages) so we get more sensible timestamps in the UI?

I am looking for a "proper" solution (A simple configuration somewhere) and NOT having to manually change the URL address in the browser nor have to hack python files which may break on upgrades.

0 Karma

sbbadri
Motivator

@ByteFlinger

Please check below splunk answer it might help you,
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/10265/change-default-web-ui-locale.html
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/6.6.3/AdvancedDev/TranslateSplunk
or

go to this location,
$SPLUNK_HOME$/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/locale

1) make sure en_GB is present.
2) tar en_US
3) Delete en_US

0 Karma

Lucas_K
Motivator

Deletion of the en_US dir breaks the splunk ui. There must be some other dependency that the UI requires from the en_US directory.

"Error connecting: Connection refused"

0 Karma

cpetterborg
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

According to the documentation:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.0/Admin/Userlanguageandlocale

It is browser specified, which makes it difficult for you, since that would break other things for you. And since the override method of changing the URL is not what you are looking for, you may be out of luck for a simple solution.

Have thought about using a "vanity URL" that redirects from a simple URL to the one that you want? It should do what you want in all other aspects. So you set up splunk.mybiz.se to point to splunk.mybiz.se:8000/en_GB. We use nginx to redirect our Splunk access through to the 8000 port, and I don't see any reason that you could not do the same thing in this case.

0 Karma

ByteFlinger
Engager

If we had an nginx sure however we go directly to the search head as we only have one. Thanks for the answer, it sounds strange that there is no way to change this as clearly my browser is not reporting en-US

0 Karma

cpetterborg
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You should be able to run nginx on the same server and have it only answer on port 80, which Splunk doesn't normally answer on anyway. If you ever have more than one SH, it would come in handy for load balancing anyway.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...