Dashboards & Visualizations

How to automatically log in to Splunk to display a dashboard on a TV screen with no interaction?

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I've found a variety of posts on this, the closest answer I have found is "In order to keep a dashboard stable and live, is there a way to configure automatic login if Splunk...

I would like to avoid the insecure login if possible, currently we have some TV screens display dashboards where someone is logging in if the search head is restarted to get the dashboard working again. Ideally I'd like to avoid the requirement for someone to login.

Embedded reports is also an option, but the user prefers the ability to just see the dashboard as-is in Splunk, and I'm happy for them to have a login to be able to do this so I don't really require embedded reports (unless it allows an entire dashboard to be embedded).

Since the dashboard that is being referred to has auto-refresh turned on, I don't think the inactivity timeout will be an issue. That just leaves search head restarts which happen when we update applications (there are various Splunk Answers posts on this, I am aware of the auto-refresh ability in newer Splunk versions).

I was thinking perhaps I could use a HTML page and javascript to allow it to have an iframe that runs a POST for a Splunk account that logs in to the Splunk system if prompted (this could become complicated). Is there a simple way to do this?
Does anyone have dashboards on TV screens that they don't manually login to?

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Lastpass is probably the closest solution I've found so far, I have not tested it but I will close this question off...

View solution in original post

0 Karma

nbharati

I guess we can use some scripts or selenium to automate the flow, put the dashboard section controls in the loop and keep it running to display the required dashboards.

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Lastpass is probably the closest solution I've found so far, I have not tested it but I will close this question off...

0 Karma

mrgibbon
Contributor

I would start looking at add-ons / extensions for your browser of choice, you might be able to put together something that way, otherwise you might be able to run a script in the background that runs a command to open the browser and Splunk page if its not found or displaying something else like an error.
Cheers

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks for the answer, if someone can suggest an appropriate one they have used then I will accept the answer...
EDIT: tested auto login for chrome and could not get it working with Splunk

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...