Dashboards & Visualizations

How reliable is the location value produced by the "iplocation" command?

yossefn
Path Finder

Hi, 

I need to create a report the will summary the countries that our users connected our network from.

Using the "iplocation" command I got a results, but for sure I can say that I know about an employee connected from a country in Europe but in the logs it appears that he connected from a country in the middle east.

Is there more accurate option to make sure I will present the correct information?

Thanks.  

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

yossefn
Path Finder

Thank you @gcusello 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @yossefn,

the problem isn't how much accurate is the option, it depends on the table used to correlate IP addresses and coordinates (lat and long).

If you want there are some more datailed tables than the ones in Splunk (paying!).

Anyway the problem probably isn't in the table but in the location of the Internet accesses of your organization: maybe a paople is in a site (Middle East) but the access point in in another site (Europe). 

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...