Dashboards & Visualizations

How does trellis scale independent work?

cfoleydivert
Explorer

When I select trellis mode for a line chart visualization, there is an option for scale to be shared or independent.
When I this in a dashboard panel, there is a simple xml option "charting.layout.splitSeries.allowIndependentYRanges".

I cannot figure out what effect these options have, what they do, how they work. The documentation is not clear (to me). The closest previous question I can find is "How do I independantly scale x-axis in charts in Trellis?" - there is no answer for that at this writing.

My aim is for some charts in trellis layout have a linear Y scale, and some to have a log scale.
Any ideas or more info available on this?

0 Karma
1 Solution

kmaron
Motivator

The Independent vs Shared scale options for Trellis toggle between all trellis charts having the SAME Y scale (shared) or for each of them to scale the Y axis based on the information present for that variable (independent).

(the XML value charting.layout.splitSeries.allowIndependentYRanges does the same as the toggle in the Trellis options)

for example if you're splitting by month and March has a maximum value of 5 and April has a maximum value of 50. Choosing Shared will make both charts' Y-Axis max out around 50. If you choose independent the March chart will max out around 5 and April around 50.

In the visualization format you can choose linear vs log but it will change ALL of the trellis charts. I don't believe there is a way to split and have some linear and some log.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

kmaron
Motivator

The Independent vs Shared scale options for Trellis toggle between all trellis charts having the SAME Y scale (shared) or for each of them to scale the Y axis based on the information present for that variable (independent).

(the XML value charting.layout.splitSeries.allowIndependentYRanges does the same as the toggle in the Trellis options)

for example if you're splitting by month and March has a maximum value of 5 and April has a maximum value of 50. Choosing Shared will make both charts' Y-Axis max out around 50. If you choose independent the March chart will max out around 5 and April around 50.

In the visualization format you can choose linear vs log but it will change ALL of the trellis charts. I don't believe there is a way to split and have some linear and some log.

0 Karma

cfoleydivert
Explorer

Thank you!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...