Dashboards & Visualizations

How does splunk react to dynamic assets?

benjamin009
Explorer

Here is my question.

List A has 150 hosts. Imported 3 weeks ago. Mostly static addresses, some dynamic
List B has 300 hosts. Imported 1 week ago. Some static, most dynamic

How does splunk handle the following:

1) If there is an asset in List A but not List B, does Splunk remove the asset or does it keep it?
2) If there is an updated DNS or IP address, does it create two entries for that specific assets?

-Specifically if there is a host with an updated dynamic IP address, does it keep both entries?
-If there is an old IP address in Splunk that is reused and now becomes a static IP address for a server, what DNS would Splunk show?
3) If there are assets in List A and List B, does it duplicate the asset entry?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

aweitzman
Motivator

Splunk doesn't remove anything unless you tell it to. All 450 entries will be there. The ones from list A will have a different timestamp from list B.

View solution in original post

aweitzman
Motivator

Splunk doesn't remove anything unless you tell it to. All 450 entries will be there. The ones from list A will have a different timestamp from list B.

benjamin009
Explorer

So when I run a search string for a DNS host that had an IP address change from list A to B, it would show both addresses in the log, just a different time stamp?

0 Karma

benjamin009
Explorer

Thank you, that helps me a lot!

0 Karma

aweitzman
Motivator

You're welcome.

(Friendly tip: Next time, you should consider accepting the actual answer rather than your own followup question.)

0 Karma

aweitzman
Motivator

(You should add comments rather than new answers when asking followups to answers.)

Yes, that's exactly what would happen, you'd get a history of each host's IP address.

If that's not what you want, and you only want the most current host IP address to show up in your searches, you might consider writing your list out as a CSV file, overwriting it each time you generate it, and then use lookup to refer to it from Splunk. This will explain more fully what I'm talking about: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.3/Knowledge/Addfieldsfromexternaldatasources

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...