Dashboards & Visualizations

How do you access the custom endpoint from dashboard javascript?

Dev999
Communicator

I have configured my REST API custom endpoint within a new app, and tested successfully through the service web's UI (:8089). But got 404 from javascript. Splunk version: 7.2.0, User account has admin role:

service.post('services/my_submit', data, function...
http://mysplunk:8000/en-US/splunkd/__raw/services/my_submit?output_mode=json 404 (Not Found)

Accessing from service port prints 'success' from the python script:

https://mysplunk:8089/services/my_submit

web.xml:

[expose:my_submit]
pattern=my_submit
methods=POST

restmap.conf:

[script:my_submit]
match=/my_submit
handler=my_submit.Submit

my_submit.py:

import splunk
class Submit(splunk.rest.BaseRestHandler):
    def handle_submit(self):
        try:
            self.response.setHeader('content-type', 'text/html')
            self.response.write('success')
        except:
            self.response.setHeader('content-type', 'text/html')
            self.response.write('<p>Uh oh! Something wrong!</p>')

handle_GET = handle_submit    

Should I use 'services/my_submit' as the endpoint in the service call? What else could I miss? Your help is greatly appreciated.
Tony

0 Karma
1 Solution

Dev999
Communicator

After correcting GET/POST, I realized the problem was that the file name should be web.conf, not web.xml.

View solution in original post

Dev999
Communicator

After correcting GET/POST, I realized the problem was that the file name should be web.conf, not web.xml.

lweber
Path Finder

seems that you are mixing Get and Post.

try:

web.xml:
methods=POST,GET

my_submit.py:
handle_GET = handle_POST = handle_submit

and try both js methods:
service.post(...) and service.get(...)

0 Karma

Dev999
Communicator

Thanks lweber. I can see missing handle_POST in python would be a problem. If I replace handle_GET with handle_POST only, I got a specific python error (object has no attribute 'handle_GET' ) on port 8089 web. Now I have both as you suggested, and added to web.xml, but still gets 404 error regardless I do service.get or service.post. I can do curl with -XPOST to get the correct response from port 8089.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...