Dashboards & Visualizations

How do i do a timechart by category with individual counts of the hosts..??

prakash007
Builder

index=a host=has 4 hosts
index=b host=has 4 hosts

Can we do a timechart with stacked column, categorizing the hosts by index and having the individual count of the hosts in each stack...??

I am able to do a timechart by category based on this answer, but i am looking for a way if i can do individual counts of each host in a stacked column too..??

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/525574/looking-for-a-search-to-categorize-by-hosts.html

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Assuming you need output like _time host1 host2 ... total_a total_b , give this a try

your base search 
| bucket span=10m _time    ***assuming you want to bucket time. update as required***
| stats count by _time index host
| appendpipe [| stats sum(count) as count by _time index | eval host="total_".index ]
| timechart span=10m sum(count) by host

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Assuming you need output like _time host1 host2 ... total_a total_b , give this a try

your base search 
| bucket span=10m _time    ***assuming you want to bucket time. update as required***
| appendpipe [| stats sum(count) as count by _time index | eval host="total_".index ]
| timechart span=10m sum(count) by host

prakash007
Builder

I am almost there, but index A,B Totals and Individuals hosts are on a single stack, is there any way i can do a different stacked columns for each IndexA Total with Individual host counts, Index B Total with individual host counts.?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Not sure if that's possible. See if this workaround works for you.

your base search 
 | bucket span=10m _time    
 | appendpipe [ | where index="a" | timechart span=10m sum(count) by host | addtotals | rename Total as Total_a | eval keep=1 ]
| appendpipe [ | where index="b" | timechart span=10m sum(count) by host | addtotals | rename Total as Total_b | _time=_time+1 | eval keep=1 ]
 | where keep=1 | sort 0 _time
0 Karma

prakash007
Builder

This search works fine, i did some chart overlay with the total counts in my case. Thanks..!!

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Are you starting with something like index=a OR index=b | timechart count by host?

0 Karma

prakash007
Builder

yes, that works fine to get the individual count of the host in the stacked column, + i am also expecting to do a total count by index within the stacked column...??

0 Karma

prakash007
Builder

This is what i did so far, where i can get the total count by category(index=a and index=b), but i am looking for if there's a way we can do individual counts within this search...

your base search giving fields host, _time
 | ...some logic to get category field there...
 | bucket _time span=10m  ***assuming you want to bucket time. update as required***
 | stats count by _time group host
 | appendpipe [| stats sum(count) as count by _time group | eval 
   group=group."- Total" ]
 | timechart span=10m sum(count) by group
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...