Dashboards & Visualizations

How do I diagnose cycles in event types and tags?

echambervisa
Observer

In several of the widgets on one of my dashboards I see a red triangle in the upper right corner. Clicking on that, I see several complaints of the forms

Expanding (splunk query here) failed due to cycle detected when expanding tag=xxx
Expanding (splunk query here) failed due to cycle detected when expanding eventtype=yyy

How does one troubleshoot the tags and event types to find and eliminate the cycles? We have many tags and many event types defined.

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @echambervisa,

Did you just change or upgrade any of your applications or Splunk ? This could be due to some corrupt configuration, if this is a test environment try remove and reinstalling your app.

Cheers,
David

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

Please have a check if it is related to : https://answers.splunk.com/answers/614862/why-am-i-getting-strange-errors-on-indexers-after.html

Else to trouble shoot
1. Ensure you have correct Addon/App installed
2. Ensure permissions of those apps. Normally the permissions of tag/eventtypes may not be global/system
3. Run the eventtype individually one by one and see which one has errors. Then do the same excercise for Tag
4. To identify where the tag or eventtypes come from use btool

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk cmd btool eventtypes list --debug >/tmp/eventtypes.btool.txt
/opt/splunk/bin/splunk cmd btool tags list --debug >/tmp/tags.btool.txt

Check the apps which these tags/eventtypes are mentioned and debug it one by one

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...