Dashboards & Visualizations

How do I create a pie chart based on total vs specific app logins?

daveywfii
Explorer

I am looking to create a simple pie chart that contrasts the total number of users during any give timeframe vs how many logged into a specific app. I am probably over thinking this, but what I did is a search for distinct_count of users during a period and then joined another search that calculates the distinct_count of users that logged into a specific app over that same period. For example: 

index="okta" "outcome.result"=SUCCESS displayMessage="User single sign on to app"
| stats dc(actor.alternateId) as "Total Logins"
| join [ | search index="okta" "target{}.displayName"="Palo Alto Networks - Prisma Access"  "outcome.result"=SUCCESS displayMessage="User single sign on to app"
| stats dc(actor.alternateId) as "Total Palo Logins"]
| table  "Total Palo Logins" "Total Logins"

Only issue is I can't get a proper pie graph of the percentage of Palo Logins vs Total Logins. Any help would be appreciated. I am sure I am missing something simple here. 

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

caiosalonso
Path Finder

Undesrtood. Now I tried to eval two new fields that would be the percentage of Palo Alto Logins and Total Logins, and them I used the transpose to return rows as columns. Is this the results you expect?

index="okta" "outcome.result"=SUCCESS displayMessage="User single sign on to app"
| join [ | search index="okta" "target{}.displayName"="Palo Alto Networks - Prisma Access"  "outcome.result"=SUCCESS displayMessage="User single sign on to app"
| table  "Total Palo Logins", "Total Logins"
| eval "Total Palo Logins Percentage" = round("Total Palo Logins"*100/"Total Logins", 2)
| eval "Total Logins Percentage" = 100 - round("Total Palo Logins"*100/"Total Logins", 2)
| table "Total Palo Logins Percentage", "Total Logins Percentage"
| transpose

Don't know if this was the best way to calculate the percentage, but It seems to be working.

View solution in original post

caiosalonso
Path Finder

Hi,

You can try using the transpose command to return your rows as columns, so you can get a pie chart from your query.

| table  "Total Palo Logins" "Total Logins"
| transpose

daveywfii
Explorer

So this gets me a pie graph of Total Logins and Total Palo Logins, but I wanted a pie graph of the total palo logins as percentage of the total and not as two separate percentages in the graph. 

0 Karma

caiosalonso
Path Finder

Undesrtood. Now I tried to eval two new fields that would be the percentage of Palo Alto Logins and Total Logins, and them I used the transpose to return rows as columns. Is this the results you expect?

| table  "Total Palo Logins", "Total Logins"
| eval "Total Palo Logins Percentage" = round("Total Palo Logins"*100/"Total Logins", 2)
| eval "Total Logins Percentage" = 100 - round("Total Palo Logins"*100/"Total Logins", 2)
| table "Total Palo Logins Percentage", "Total Logins Percentage"
| transpose

Don't know if this was the best way to calculate the percentage, but It seems to be working.

daveywfii
Explorer

Hey thanks for the suggestion. It worked as long as I used single quotes inside the (), but I ended up going a "simpler" way to display the difference between them.

| join [ | search index="okta" "target{}.displayName"="Palo Alto Networks - Prisma Access" "outcome.result"=SUCCESS displayMessage="User single sign on to app"
| stats dc(actor.alternateId) as "Users Logging into Prisma"]
| table "Users Logging into Prisma", "Total Logins"
| eval "Users Not Using Prisma"=('Total Logins' - 'Users Logging into Prisma')
| table "Users Logging into Prisma", "Users Not Using Prisma"
| transpose

As a side question, how are you doing the markup to designate SPL? 

0 Karma

caiosalonso
Path Finder

Good it helped you.

I use the option to insert code on the formatting tab, as HTML/XML. It doesn't have an option for SPL, but It makes the code more clear to read.

caiosalonso_0-1675800938102.png

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...