Dashboards & Visualizations

How do I allow dashboards to "talk" to each other?

twidler
Explorer

So here is what I am thinking. In a nutshell, I am looking to have a main dashboard which displays the status of multiple servers as well as display a status indicator for each of them to show the servers current "health". This "health" value would be derived ideally by a secondary dashboard which has multiple status indicators which work in a similar fashion, but are tied to one specific servers sub-systems. I may also incorporate another level that goes into the sub-systems similarly. However, lets just say I am only doing the two levels.

I am struggling to find a way to make the second sub-system level dashboards for each server, store and send their health values to the main dashboard so the color of the main dashboards status indicator can be determined for that specific server. 

The intent is to have these dashboards on different screens throughout the office but also make following the issues easier. As in you just follow the drilldowns of the indicators showing an issue until you get to a diagnostic dashboard of some sort which can aid in troubleshooting.

Some Ideas:

• Idea One: Have a JavaScript script for each dashboard which uses the Search Heads file structure to communicate between dashboards. 
  • Problems with Idea One: There are many, though I am unsure if I can make the scripts update regularly and communicate while also updating the status indicators on each dashboard at the same time. Also, I am unsure of how to use the search of each of the indicators in a way that will work with the scripts. Even if I make all of this work it may also involve a decent amount of upkeep to keep all the pieces working together.
  • Idea Two: Use Tokens or something similar to share the health values from the lower levels of dashboard up to the Main dashboard.
  • Problems with Idea Two: Put simply I don't know if this is possible. So far as I can tell Tokens are meant to be used as inputs only, can't be changed by search results, and are meant to be sent downstream via drilldowns. Not upstream. Though maybe I could just start at the lowest level of dashboard and create drilldowns that will eventually end up back at the Main dashboard. Though this has its own issues such as needing multiple drilldowns to converge their data onto the same dashboard to get the level of information I would need to calculate an average health of the system. 

I am quite open to suggestion. I have spent quite a while brainstorming and attempting to test different ideas to no avail.

I am using Splunk Enterprise version 8.1.2. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Labels (5)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Consider using reports instead of in-line searches.  If you put the same report in both dashboards they'll each see the same results.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

twidler
Explorer

I am currently experimenting with using reports per your suggestion though I don't know how I can access the result of multiple "input" reports on a dashboard to use in a single visualization so that I may create an overall health of all of the systems. I have some health reports created on the second lower level that I now have in my main dashboard. Do you have any suggestions on how to calculate the main health based on the lower levels health. If I can do that then I can make a flow of dashboards as deep as I need which is significantly more helpful.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...