Dashboards & Visualizations

How can we change the color scheme for different environments?

danielbb
Motivator

Is there a way to apply different color schemes for different environments - QC, Prod, etc.? It probably can be a big header as well.

We just had a case where one admin fellow got confused between the environments and we obviously would like to avoid it.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That’s sounds as excellent idea. I have seen this kind of usage in several other products where admin can force some GUI elements/ colors on every screen/dashboard and other users cannot change those. If no-one know how to do this then I said that you should add this to ideas.splunk.com.

r. Ismo

niketn
Legend

@isoutamo I think it can be done. I just want to be sure what is the use case here. What is environment is it a Splunk Deployment, a Splunk App or a Splunk Dashboard or it is environment data within Splunk Dashboard visualization. Details need to be added!

danielbb
Motivator

@niketn, as @isoutamo said, the objective is to have each environment - prod, qa, sandbox, etc. with different color scheme, so it's easier for the users to know in which environment they are logged on to.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@danielbb If it was for specific apps within each environment (assuming users should have access to their specific app), you could have used navigation xml file.

However, seems like you need the following app for Browser Icon Changer by Chris Younger.

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I see that the environment is eg. the whole splunk deployment for test (could contain single server or multi site distributed environment). Second environment e.g production and third e.g dev or QA. And of course those can be a different kind of deployments based on environment. 

Otherwise in case where there are Test, Prod etc data in the same deployment it should be manageable based on data (based on most critical assets).  But as this is not deployed as the best practices, let’s forget it now and concentrate to this first option. 

r. Ismo

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

Is each environment represented by a different App or just Different Dashboard?

If there are different Apps for different environment you should create different navigation color in navigation default.xml. Also replace the App's static Icons files.

If the different Apps are represented by different dashboards, you can run an independent search to pull Environment name from the data. Set search token (either as init or independent search) to pass on the selected App name as token to apply different CSS Style override for different environment.

If the environment is shown only in visualizations, depending on what you are using, you will have to configure/override viz CSS.

Please add more details/data for your use case for the community to assist you better.

RafalP

An Environment would be a set of Splunk web UI's. As an example, we could have one set of Search Heads, Indexers, Deploy Servers, etc. to build and test new Splunk Apps (let's call them DEV environment) and another set to run these Apps in "production" mode (PROD). These are the same Apps on DEV and PROD. Whenever we log in to any of DEV web interfaces we'd like to see different colors in the navigation menu's than on PROD for all Apps that are there, e.g.:

RafalP_0-1599030060637.png

Is there a way to change it globally - without going to each individual app?

That would really help us to avoid the problem of confusing the environments.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could use a hidden panel to set up your styles

<row depends="$STYLES$">
    <panel>
      <html>
        <style>
          .main-section-body
          {
            background:greenyellow !important;
          }
        </style>
      </html>
    </panel>
  </row>

Use a different style for each environment

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...