Dashboards & Visualizations

How can I show customized hyperlink text on a dashboard instead of showing the full URL?

rromanelli
Explorer

I have a field that stores a dynamic URL. It is always unique. I am clicking that link and it takes me to a report in a different platform. How can I show customized hyperlink text on the dashboard instead of showing the full link/URL?

Example: "Report Link" instead of https://etc...

I don't think I can use eval because the field is dynamic.

niketn
Legend

Are you trying to do this in Table or Chart visualization? I am hoping this is for Table since you want to Show Report Link.

You can use <fields> Simple XML Configuration reference and show only the required fields. You Dynamic URL Field will be hidden and still available as token for drilldown.

Following is a sample code since you have not provided field names for your dashboard:

Step 1: Add a dummy "Report Link" field to your search. Pipe the following:

| eval reportLink="Report Link"

Step 2: Edit the Simple XML for table and after </search> introduce <fields>, to add the fields you need including the dummy link field reportLink

<fields>your_field_1, your_field_2, your_field_3, reportLink</fields>

Step 3: Code drilldown for table to allow click only if reportLink field value is clicked(optional). Code link to launch the URL based on your_URL_Field. PS: Based on the URL partial, internal to Splunk, external, you might need to adjust the code for link (however, since you just want to hide the URL, I expect you already have this in place.

<drilldown>
          <condition field="reportLink">
            <link>$row.your_URL_Field$</link>
          </condition>
<drilldown>

Refer to Splunk Documentation for details on the following:
fields Attribute: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Viz/PanelreferenceforSimplifiedXML#Attributes_8
Link : http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Viz/EventHandlerReference#link

Also check out Table Elements With Hidden Fields Example and DrillDown Elements section in the Splunk 6.x Dashboard Examples App for examples.

PS: Something similar can be done for Charts as well, but the steps are a bit different.

ErikaE
Communicator

This answer solved the problem for me. I was generating the whole URL, so I had to change the link statement like so:

<link>$row.your_URL_Field|n$</link>

Thanks for the comprehensive answer!

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You use fieldformat like this:

... | fieldformat YourLinkFieldNameHere = "Report Link"
0 Karma

rromanelli
Explorer

Thanks for the prompt response. That broke the URL. I just want to display a different string on the dashboard but leave the URL value in the token. Did I say that right?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

It does not break the URL; it just looks like it does. Trust me and TRY IT. It does exactly what you are desiring to do.

0 Karma

ErikaE
Communicator

Found this answer because I am trying to solve the same problem as OP. Also found that the | fieldformat code breaks the link to the external search.

Here is the XML code we are using to make the link clickable, could that be the problem?

<drilldown target="blank">
          <condition field="HyperLink">
            <link>$click.value2|n$</link>
          </condition>
        </drilldown>

Edit to add:

• We are dynamically creating the url
  • The url is one field in a table
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...