Dashboards & Visualizations

How can I make a custom map that I drew myself on the Dashboard?

bankze34
Explorer

How can I make a custom map that I drew myself on the Dashboard?
Is it available to link between custom map and analyzed data?

If it is not possible, is there any way to make custom map using the other tools?(please let me know all kind of method to make it)

I am going to leave a sample what I want.
I drew a seat map of each employee of our company.
Here, I'd like to display a mount of computer usage of each person.
Of course we always get the log data for each computer.
Can I link the map I drew using each log data of computer usage?
We are researching about Splunk Web Framework to make a dashboard for our case.
We want to sure whether our direction is right or not.

Tags (1)

JMichaelis
Path Finder

Leaflet would allow you to use a custom map. You'd need to look for a plugin which allows the representation style you prefer or write your own overlay. This would require a custom dashboard with javascript-code.

You also need to watch out for this problem if you are using 6.3.3.: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/319267/how-do-i-correctly-use-leaflet-maps-in-splunk-63.html and I recommend using a newer version of leaflet than the one provided with splunk.

There are scripts which will split your custom drawn map in the right tiles and create the folder structure you need.

There is a small presentation regarding maps in splunk from .conf2015. You can look at the custom tile server url and create a solution with your own, script-generated tiles. https://conf.splunk.com/session/2015/conf2015_RBittner_MPorath_Splunk_UsingSplunkSearchLanguage_Gett...

bankze34
Explorer

Thank you for answering my question.

Please let me re-describe what you suggest.
1. If I want to use drawn map on the Splunk dashboard, I should know Leaflet.(javascript-code)
2. The latest version of Leaflet is better than before.
I need to make sure whether I understand or not.

If it is right, I have more question.
1. Is there only one way to develop custom dashboard? There are for way to customize dashboard as I searched.
First, I can edit Simple XML to make advanced function of dashboard.
Second, I can use style sheet code(.css)
Third, I can use javascript code as you said.
Fourth, I can use HTML code which is converted from XML code
2. Though I have checked the materials that you have presented, I am concerned about something.
- Can I completely change the map unlike google map or others? I want to use just image file that I drew. To be more exact, it is probably not a map. I think it is just a kind of function of custom dashboard.

0 Karma

JMichaelis
Path Finder

Hi bankze,

if you want to use any custom map on splunk, leaflet would be the easiest implementation as it is included.
For easy presentation of your map no javacode is necessary. In the conference paper you see a custom map example on page 24 realised with splunk settings. You could use a script to create the tiles from your drawn map (automated process) and put them in the static directory of your app. As URL for the map tiles (in folder /static/tiles/) you then give splunk http://your_ip:8000/en-US/app/your_app_name/tiles/{z}/{x}/{y}.png and can use the splunk given features for map representation. All you need to do is give splunk your coordinates as latitude and longitude.

If you want custom data presentation methods I'd recommend a newer version of leaflet together with JS. Most plugins won't work with the version splunk implemented years ago from my experience.

Regarding the other questions:

Simple XML would not be enough for your task. It's an easy way to create custom dashboards with splunk given commands. CSS would be possible but is more complicated than predefined modules and plugins.
There is no custom dashboard function I know of which would allow you to draw a picture and present data on it prebuilt in splunk.

0 Karma

bankze34
Explorer

Hi JMichealis,

While I try to use leaflet you suggested, I found "Leaflet.TileLayer.IIP" which is javascript library.
If I want to use this library, how can I call and define in .js file?

The usage of Leaflet.TileLayer.IIP is like thie:

I am wondering what should I fill in the "require" and "function"?

0 Karma

JMichaelis
Path Finder

Hi bankze,

I'm sorry but I'm not able to teach JS over Splunk Answers. Use this as a guideline and notice the comment from my coworker regarding the require function: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/319267/how-do-i-correctly-use-leaflet-maps-in-splunk-63.html

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...