Dashboards & Visualizations

How can I direct a role to a specific dashboard at login?

bcyates
Communicator

Hi all,

I need to be able to set certain roles to launch a particular dashboard at login. We use LDAP for login, so the goal is to create a role for our c-suite level of executives.

I have created an executive summary dashboard for them in particular. We will use SSO to make their login to Splunk as simple as possible. But I need them to land on that executive summary dashboard on login.

0 Karma
1 Solution

vasanthmss
Motivator

Hi Bcyates,

Try something like this,

1. Open the user role and make the default app for the role. Suppose the other users in the role doesn't want this you have to open the each users and make the default app as your app. Better create a new role so that future you don't want to worry about this,
  2. Update the navigation menu for your app Settings >> User interface » Navigation menus » default make the view (your dashboard) as default by updating default='true'

By the above steps you can control your app's first loading dashboard and the default app for the particular role / user. while user login they can directly see the dashboard.

Hope this will helps you.

V

View solution in original post

ben_leung
Builder

You need to add this to the role stanza in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/user-prefs/local/user-prefs.conf

example, if you want all users with admin role to go to the search app.

[role_admin]
default_namespace = search

Do this as well as @vasanthmss answer.
I don't know if user contains multiple roles what the outcome will be. Thinking that it will follow alphabetical order in preference.

0 Karma

ben_leung
Builder

I think I just repeated what was said here: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/79581/set-default-app-by-role.html

0 Karma

vasanthmss
Motivator

Hi Bcyates,

Try something like this,

1. Open the user role and make the default app for the role. Suppose the other users in the role doesn't want this you have to open the each users and make the default app as your app. Better create a new role so that future you don't want to worry about this,
  2. Update the navigation menu for your app Settings >> User interface » Navigation menus » default make the view (your dashboard) as default by updating default='true'

By the above steps you can control your app's first loading dashboard and the default app for the particular role / user. while user login they can directly see the dashboard.

Hope this will helps you.

V

ben_leung
Builder

This would only affect users that are going to the app (e.g. search or sos or es).

matthewfry
Explorer

This is definitely not the answer the OP was looking for. He wants to force a dashboard for all members of a role, not an app. I am looking for a way to do this as well. I cannot find a way to do this without having the user log in first and manually set the dashboard as the homepage.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...