Dashboards & Visualizations

How can I change the layout of the fieldset section?

seomaniv
Explorer

I have events with a lot of possible fields to search. I made a dashboard for business (non-technical) users to be able to see those events in a meaningful way. Depending on their business unit, they will most likely only want to see a subset of the data, so I've included checkboxes for the potential fields they'd like to include in the table. But there are a lot of checkboxes, so it makes the "inputs" portion of the dashboard very long:

alt text

What I'd like to be able to do is reformat it to distribute the fields in columns (and even group the other three inputs in a single column to the left), such as:

alt text

Is there a way to do that? I have checked the xml documentation at

docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/latest/Viz/PanelreferenceforSimplifiedXML

but not found any solution. From what I see, the fieldset node doesn't permit rows or panels, and the fieldset node cannot be a child of a row or panel.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@seomaniv if you are on Splunk version till 7.0 you can refer to my Wiki Talk Topic 8: Splunk Inputs align options/choices horizontally using CSS

However Splunk Dashboard DOM structure changed between version 7.1 and 7.2. So you can try the following approach if you are Splunk 7.2. I have added the input to a panel and given input id input_checkbox_horizontal1. If you would notice the CSS selector is generic provided you name such checkboxes to input_checkbox_horizontal1, input_checkbox_horizontal2 etc.

div[id^="input_checkbox_horizontal"]{
        width: 800px !important;
      }
      div[id^="input_checkbox_horizontal"] div[data-component$="CheckboxGroup"]{
        display:flex !important;
        flex-wrap: wrap !important;
      }
      div[id^="input_checkbox_horizontal"] div[data-component$="CheckboxGroup"] div[data-test="switch"]{
        padding-right: 10px !important;
      }
      div[id^="input_checkbox_horizontal"] div[data-component$="CheckboxGroup"] div[data-test="switch"] label[data-test="label"] {
          width: 150px !important;
      }

alt text

Following is the code for the run anywhere search example based on Splunk's internal indexes (you should have access to run query agains Splunk's _internal index in order to load this dashboard)

<form>
  <label>Checkbox horizontal</label>
  <fieldset submitButton="false">
  </fieldset>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <input id="input_checkbox_horizontal1" type="checkbox" token="tokSourcetype" searchWhenChanged="true">
        <label>Select Sourcetype</label>
        <fieldForLabel>sourcetype</fieldForLabel>
        <fieldForValue>sourcetype</fieldForValue>
        <search>
          <query>| tstats count where index IN ("_*") by sourcetype</query>
          <earliest>-24h@h</earliest>
          <latest>now</latest>
        </search>
      </input>
      <html>
        <style>
          }
          }
          div[id^="input_checkbox_horizontal"] div[data-component$="CheckboxGroup"] div[data-test="switch"]{
          }
          div[id^="input_checkbox_horizontal"] div[data-component$="CheckboxGroup"] div[data-test="switch"] label[data-test="label"] {
          }
        </style>
      </html>
    </panel>
  </row>
</form>

View solution in original post

niketn
Legend

@seomaniv if you are on Splunk version till 7.0 you can refer to my Wiki Talk Topic 8: Splunk Inputs align options/choices horizontally using CSS

However Splunk Dashboard DOM structure changed between version 7.1 and 7.2. So you can try the following approach if you are Splunk 7.2. I have added the input to a panel and given input id input_checkbox_horizontal1. If you would notice the CSS selector is generic provided you name such checkboxes to input_checkbox_horizontal1, input_checkbox_horizontal2 etc.

}
      }
      }
      }

alt text

Following is the code for the run anywhere search example based on Splunk's internal indexes (you should have access to run query agains Splunk's _internal index in order to load this dashboard)

<form>
  <label>Checkbox horizontal</label>
  <fieldset submitButton="false">
  </fieldset>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <input id="input_checkbox_horizontal1" type="checkbox" token="tokSourcetype" searchWhenChanged="true">
        <label>Select Sourcetype</label>
        <fieldForLabel>sourcetype</fieldForLabel>
        <fieldForValue>sourcetype</fieldForValue>
        <search>
          <query>| tstats count where index IN ("_*") by sourcetype</query>
          <earliest>-24h@h</earliest>
          <latest>now</latest>
        </search>
      </input>
      <html>
        <style>
          }
          }
          }
          }
        </style>
      </html>
    </panel>
  </row>
</form>

seomaniv
Explorer

Thank you, @niketnilay . This appears to be what I needed.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I am sure that @niketnilay can help.

niketn
Legend

@woodcock done 🙂

Unfortunately this CSS is version specific I have provided answer for 7.2. But at the same time my Wiki Talk Topic link covers same topic which should work till version 7.0. (Time to update Wiki Talk provided it allows me to save)

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

May be you can change those checkboxes to multiselect dropdown.

0 Karma

seomaniv
Explorer

Thank you, somesoni2. That is a significantly better option than what I was using. However, I would still like to be able to customize the layout of the fieldset node, if possible.

0 Karma

paramagurukarth
Builder

You can add specify id for each form element and select it using CSS for customisation.. either you can add external css file using stylesheet attribute in form element..
Or you can include inline css using HTML module

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Not sure if that would easy to achieve using simple xml dashboard. You may want to explore HTML dashboard.
http://dev.splunk.com/view/webframework-developapps/SP-CAAAEM2

I personally not very good at dashboard customization, so hope other splunkers who have better idea would chip in here.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...