Dashboards & Visualizations

How can I add more machines in the drop-down menu under the "Resource Usage: Machine" dashboard?

andrei1bc
Communicator

Using the built-in dashboard "Resource Usage: Machine", how can I add more machines in the drop-down menu?

Thank you in advance.

1 Solution

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The machines or servers that are exposed in the Distributed Management Console's "Resource Usage: Machine" view are those that host a Splunk instance that is monitored by the DMC.

Therefore, the only way to add a given machine to the scope of that view is for it to host a Splunk instance and to configure the DMC to monitor it.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The machines or servers that are exposed in the Distributed Management Console's "Resource Usage: Machine" view are those that host a Splunk instance that is monitored by the DMC.

Therefore, the only way to add a given machine to the scope of that view is for it to host a Splunk instance and to configure the DMC to monitor it.

0 Karma

andrei1bc
Communicator

so, i have 1 indexer , 1 search head and 3 forwarders (that run a full enterprise instance - heavy forwarder). DMC is enabled on the indexer, but the only instance i can see from the drop down menu is the indexer. Can you point me in the right direction ?

0 Karma

ykou_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee
  • Based on your configuration, you need to use DMC on the search head.
  • Navigate to the DMC setup page on the search head, then switch to the distributed mode (there's a toggle button on top left corner), you should see both your search head and indexer listed on this page. Then clicks on the apply changes button (on top right corner). Now you should be able to see both the search head and indexer in the dropdown menu in the Resource Usage: Machine" dashboard.
  • Monitoring forwarders is a bit different though. Starting from Splunk 6.3.x, DMC can monitor forwarders as well, but it doesn't include resource usage of the forwarders. If you want to get full insight of all 3 heavy forwarders, then you need some extra setup.

ref: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.2/DMC/Deploymentsetupsteps

andrei1bc
Communicator

Thank you. All working now.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...