Dashboards & Visualizations

Graph a Set of Values Against Another Set

danielrusso1
Path Finder

I would like to graph the average page response time vs CPU utilization on a specific server over a given time period.

What I envision is CPU utilization on the y-axis (ascending), with the corresponding response time on the x-axis (ascending as well).

Logic tells me you can associate these two values using the _time field.

If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Tags (3)
0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

In Splunk, the Y-axis is always the numeric result of a function within one of the reporting commands.
Given a set of input events that looked something like this

[timestamp] host CPUutil% ReponseTimeinSec other stuff

You could do something like this

yoursearchhere
| bin _time span=5m
| stats avg(cpu_utilization) as CPU avg(response_time_in_sec) as ResponseTime by _time
| eval series="CPU,ResponseTime"
| makemv delim="," series
| mvexpand series
| eval Yvalue = if (series=="CPU",CPU,ResponseTime)
| timechart span=5m sum(Yvalue) as Y by series

This plays some games to create two data series, one for CPU and one for ResponseTime, and then graphs them together. You could also do this by running two searches and combining the results, but that might require searching the data twice.

Note that the scale for the CPU utilization will run from 0 to 100%. I have no idea what the scale for the response time might be in your environment. Mapping these two series on a single Y axis may not be easy to read if their scales are very different.

Finally, this solution depends on having the CPU utilization and the response time available in the same events. If the data is different, then the solution could be either much easier or harder.

If this answer is not helpful, please provide more specifics about the data!

0 Karma

danielrusso1
Path Finder

My graph would have CPU on the Y-axis, and response time on the X-axis, plotting values of response time against CPU, independent of time.

How would this be done?

0 Karma

danielrusso1
Path Finder

So if my data were:

_time RTime CPU

1:00:00 530ms 50%

1:00:10 700ms 75%

1:00:20 200ms 35%

1:00:30 210ms 37%

1:00:40 600ms 60%

1:00:50 1100ms 98%

1:01:00 650ms 65%

1:01:10 150ms 30%

0 Karma

danielrusso1
Path Finder

This produces a chart with both values graphed over a given time period (as intended).

What I am looking to do is chart the page response time for a given CPU utilization.

0 Karma

danielrusso1
Path Finder

host=server1 sourcetype="iis"

| bin _time span=10s
| stats avg(time_taken) as time1 by _time
| eval Time=time1/1000
| append

[search host=server1 sourcetype="CPU Load" counter="% Processor Time" | bin _time span=10s | stats avg(Value) as CPU by _time]

| eval series="CPU, Time"
| makemv delim="," series
| mvexpand series
| eval Yvalue = if (series=="CPU", CPU, Time)
| timechart span=10s sum(Yvalue) as Y by series

0 Karma

danielrusso1
Path Finder

This works the way you describe it, however I am looking for something slightly different.

First, some notes on your original answer. I did indeed need to scale my response time (from ms to s).

Secondly, CPU and response time are not available in the same events. I think I worked my way through this however. I end up with the following:

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...