Dashboards & Visualizations

EVAL tag in simple XML with replace regular expressions OR variable with multiple values to be used in the main search?

cyvi01
Path Finder

Hi,

I´m facing a problem. I´m trying to solve my current issue via 2 different approaches but i´m unfortunately unable to complete any of these solutions. I´m trying to provide a dashboard with a form whose some of the fields to fill should allow users to sort data using multiple inclusions or exclusions to fit what each and every team works with.

Solution 1 : By using an EVAL tag in the XML code  and use the variable in the main basesearch like "index=test $exclude_uri$ | stats count BY cs_uri_sterm"

I tried something like and use a panel to display the result :

<form>
  <fieldset submitButton="true">
    <input type="text" token="exclude" searchWhenChanged="true">
      <default></default>
      <change>
        <eval token="exclude_uri">replace(replace(trim(exclude), "\\s+", " "), "(\\S+)", "cs_uri_sterm!=\"\1\"")</eval>
      </change>
    </input>
  </fieldset>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <html>
        <p>Token:<b>$exclude_uri$</b></p>
      </html>
    </panel>
  </row>
</form>

However i´m facing several issues :
- for some reasons multiple whitespaces are removed by default even though i decide to remove the replace and trim functions dedicated to that. Why ?
- \1 does not seem to be recognized. For some reasons a lot of people do not need \\ but it seems like i need them but this does not work for \\1 anyway, only for \s+ and \S+. Any reason ? How can i make this work ?

On the other side, it does work if i implement the same in a makeresults test search as follows :

| makeresults
| eval exclude="/assets/*    /api/* "
| eval exclude_uri=replace(replace(trim(exclude), "(\S+)", "cs_uri_sterm!=\"\1\""), "\s+", " ")

providing :

_time                    exclude                exclude_uri
2022-11-10 15:21:17      /assets/*    /api/* 	cs_uri_sterm!="/assets/*" cs_uri_sterm!="/api/*"

Why is it different ?

Solution 2 : Use a Makeresults like above and use the output of it as a direct filter in my basesearch

I tried that but im not able to find a proper solution :

index=test [ | makeresults | eval | eval exclude_uri=replace(replace(trim($exclude$), "(\S+)", "cs_uri_sterm!=\"\1\""), "\s+", " ") | table exclude_uri ]

I should get something like index=test cs_uri_sterm!="/assets/*" cs_uri_sterm!="/api/*" if the user filled "/assets/* /api/*" in the form text input.

I have also tried the same with a MV field. 

index=text [ | makeresults | eval exclude_uri=replace(replace(trim($exclude$), "(\S+)", "cs_uri_sterm!=\"\1\""), "\s+", " ") | makemv delim=" " exclude_uri | mvexpand exclude_uri | table exclude_uri ]

Nothing works. Spent few hours trying to look at solutions. Even tried to see if i could use something like search ... IN or where something. Any advice ? I really need this.

Javascript may be my solution, i don´t know. Kind of stuck here.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

cyvi01
Path Finder

Thank you as your point is not the solution but helped me a lot to know what to do :

<eval token="exclude_uri">"cs_uri_sterm!=\"".replace($exclude$,"\\s+","\" cs_uri_sterm!=\"")."\""</eval>

It looks like that empty (which is perfect).

cyvi01_0-1668124731738.png

or like that if filled : 

cyvi01_1-1668124800519.png

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Karma

johnhuang
Motivator

Try this:

<eval token="exclude_uri">"NOT cs_uri_sterm IN (\\\"".replace(trim($exclude$),"\\s+","\\\", \\\"")."\\\")"</eval>
0 Karma

cyvi01
Path Finder

Thank you as your point is not the solution but helped me a lot to know what to do :

<eval token="exclude_uri">"cs_uri_sterm!=\"".replace($exclude$,"\\s+","\" cs_uri_sterm!=\"")."\""</eval>

It looks like that empty (which is perfect).

cyvi01_0-1668124731738.png

or like that if filled : 

cyvi01_1-1668124800519.png

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...