Dashboards & Visualizations

Why is duration not showing value greater than 99?

power12
Communicator

I have data where I am calculating the difference between two timestamps and showing the difference in days:hh:mm:ss ...But in some cases if the the duration is greater than 99 days its not showing 100 .It shows something like 99+04:47:11

I am looking something like...if the duration is 103 days..the it should be 103+04:47:11..Is this possible on Splunk.

Thanks in Ad

Labels (1)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please post your duration field calculation

0 Karma

power12
Communicator

@bowesmana  Below is my search.I want the "Estimated_Installed_Time" to show days greater than 99 instead of 99+

Index=xyz .....| eval ltime = Estimated_End_Time
| eval Estimated_End_Time = strftime(Estimated_End_Time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| eval ltime = if(Estimated_End_Time != "", ltime, nowtime)
| eval nowtime = strftime(nowtime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| eval Estimated_End_Time = if(Estimated_End_Time != "", Estimated_End_Time, nowtime)
| eval duration = ltime - etime
| eval duration_days = round(duration/86400,2)

| eval Estimated_Installed_Time =tostring(duration,"duration")
| table Row id host SN Start_Date Start_Time Estimated_End_Time Estimated_Installed_Time etime ltime duration_days
| stats max(Estimated_End_Time) as Estimated_End_Time max(Estimated_Installed_Time) as Estimated_Installed_Time max(duration_days) as Estimated_Installed_Days by host SN Start_Date Start_Time

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@power12 

Thanks for posting the search - the reason you are getting 99+ as your max is this

| stats ... max(Estimated_Installed_Time) as Estimated_Installed_Time

You are converting the duration to a string then doing max() on the string value, not the number, so 99 is greater then 100 (9 is higher alphabetically than 1.

Your search should

| stats max(Estimated_End_Time) as Estimated_End_Time max(duration_days) as Estimated_Installed_Days by host SN Start_Date Start_Time

| eval Estimated_Installed_Days = round(Estimated_Installed_Days/86400,2)
| eval Estimated_Installed_Time =tostring(Estimated_Installed_Days,"duration")

i.e.

• Move the round to after the stats, you only need to round the final figure
  • Move the tostring to the end - you already have  max(duration_days) in your stats, which is the number you want
  • Remove the table command - it serves no purpose as it's immediately followed by stats

power12
Communicator

@bowesmana  I tried your search but I dont see any results . I think there is no value for duration days...in my searvh we get the  value from | eval duration_days = round(duration/86400,2)

stats max(Estimated_End_Time) as Estimated_End_Time max(duration_days) as Estimated_Installed_Days by host SN Start_Date Start_Time

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sorry, my bad - you're absolutely right, instead of duration_days, use duration, so you carry duration through and then calculate days after the stats.

| stats max(Estimated_End_Time) as Estimated_End_Time max(duration) as duration by host SN Start_Date Start_Time

| eval Estimated_Installed_Days = round(duration/86400,2)
| eval Estimated_Installed_Time =tostring(Estimated_Installed_Days,"duration")

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Another (more elegant in my opinion) solution is to use fieldformat instead of eval to keep the nummerical value internally but present it in a nicer way.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@PickleRick Yes, fieldformat has its uses, but I'm not a fan given its somewhat confusing behaviour, e.g. 

| makeresults
| fields - _time
| eval n=now()
| fieldformat a=strftime(n, "%F %T")
| fieldformat n=strftime(n, "%F %T")
| eval a_max=max(a,1)
| eval n_max=max(n,1)
| eval a_type=if(isnum(a),1,0)
| eval n_type=if(isnum(n),1,0)

so the a assignment works but is not really a field and is not a number and if you transpose that, field a does not get included in the transposed results.

It also does not work in foreach [] statements oddly.

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Let's say that it is perfectly understandable but indeed can be a bit confusing.

0 Karma

yeahnah
Motivator

Hi @power12 

It should work, maybe share how you are doing it and remember that the time diff should be in seconds.

Here's a run anywhere example demonstrating it should work OK if the value is more than 100 days (tested on v8.2.7)

| makeresults | eval timediff=tostring((103 * 86400)+12345, "duration")

yeahnah_0-1679614182001.png

Hope that helps

power12
Communicator

Hello @yeahnah 

Below is my search.I want the "Estimated_Installed_Time" to show days greater than 99 instead of 99+

Index=xyz .....| eval ltime = Estimated_End_Time
| eval Estimated_End_Time = strftime(Estimated_End_Time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| eval ltime = if(Estimated_End_Time != "", ltime, nowtime)
| eval nowtime = strftime(nowtime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| eval Estimated_End_Time = if(Estimated_End_Time != "", Estimated_End_Time, nowtime)
| eval duration = ltime - etime
| eval duration_days = round(duration/86400,2)

| table Row id host SN Start_Date Start_Time Estimated_End_Time Estimated_Installed_Time etime ltime duration_days
| stats max(Estimated_End_Time) as Estimated_End_Time max(Estimated_Installed_Time) as Estimated_Installed_Time max(duration_days) as Estimated_Installed_Days by host SN Start_Date Start_Time
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...