Dashboards & Visualizations

Dropdown based on another dropdown

sarahw3
Explorer

I have a dropdown menu where you can select a state and I want another dropdown for city. Is there a way that the city dropdown then only has the options for the state chosen? For example, if I chose Massachusetts in the first dropdown, Los Angeles would not be an option to pick on the second drop down menu.

0 Karma
1 Solution

cmerriman
Super Champion

use the token that is creating the state dropdown in your search that is creating the city dropdown.

for instance, if $state$ is the token name for your state dropdown:

sourcetype="support_csv" location=$state$|stats count by city|fields - count

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sscullion_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What you want is a cascading input.

First input populating search:
sourcetype=mySourcetype | stats count by "State"

First input token: state_token

Second input populating search:
sourcetype=mySourcetype State=$state_token|s$ | stats count by "City"

Note the use of a |s filter with the state_token. This will add quote marks to capture states like North Dakota.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Use a populating search for the 2nd dropdown that uses something like |inputcsv YourFileWithStatesAndCities Here | search State=$state$

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

use the token that is creating the state dropdown in your search that is creating the city dropdown.

for instance, if $state$ is the token name for your state dropdown:

sourcetype="support_csv" location=$state$|stats count by city|fields - count
0 Karma

sarahw3
Explorer

It is saying my search produces no result. I tried it as State=$state$ and that didn't work either.

0 Karma

sarahw3
Explorer

When I get rid of the part with the token it works but it shows all the cities for all states.

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

can you paste your xml from your dashboard so i can see what might be happening? i just need the part from <fieldset...> to </fieldset> where all the dropdowns are

0 Karma

sarahw3
Explorer

I got it! I just had to put the token in quotes! Thank you so much for all your help! You are a life saver!! I wish I had all your splunk knowledge hahaha!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...