Dashboards & Visualizations

Dashboard studio inputs : Waiting for input- Is there any option for refresh button?

paritoshs24
Path Finder

Hi All,

I have provided multiple inputs in my dashboard studio and their tokens are being  used across multiple searches in the same Dashboard.

I am seeing this issue:

paritoshs24_1-1655463665730.png

I have to click submit  button  multiple times.

My multi select inputs look like this and  they are interdependent on each other:

paritoshs24_2-1655463783786.png

Example:
Values of B is dependent on A

Values of C is dependent on A, B

Values of D is dependent on A, B, C

Values of  E is dependent on A,B,C,D   like that.

Now say if i have selected A,B,C ....D will not  update its values until and  unless i click submit button.......similarly E will also not update its new values until and unless after selecting D, i press again submit button.

Is there any option for refresh button ?

If i remove submit button, my whole dashboard starts refreshing  with each selection of input and this eats away a  lot of time. 

Labels (3)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

paritoshs24
Path Finder

Thankyou Elizabeth for wonderful explanation. I got your point.  I was naive to ask such question  (though i am actually naive in splunk as of now).

I was focussing on my inputs and submit button so much that i forgot abt my visualizations.

Though I found out different method.
Removed submit button --> made each input serially dependent on its previous inputs
Made all my visualizations dependent on all  of these inputs.
made default value of all of these inputs empty ...so there are no changes in visualisations when we are selecting inputs 

So untill and unless i select final  input .....none of  my visualisations will update. and next will update only when we have correct previous selections 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

marysan
Communicator

Hi 

without submit button you can unselect search on change option in your multiselect option to avoid refreshing your dashboard 

in addition i think if you put A,B,C,D in one panel and the others(like E) in another pattern with another submit button , and pass your D value as a token to E, maybe it can be effective

paritoshs24
Path Finder

Can you please elaborate ? I did not get your point.

0 Karma

paritoshs24
Path Finder
0 Karma

elizabethl_splu
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @paritoshs24 - currently the purpose of the submit button is that searches will only run when the button is clicked. That is why after you select input A, you have to press Submit in order for the search behind input B to populate. Then when you select input B, you have to press Submit in order for the search behind input C to populate, and so on. 

Do I understand correctly that you want each search that's tied to an input to run automatically, even if there is a submit button?

I think this might lead to some unexpected behavior: Imagine you have a single search that is powering your input and a visualization on the dashboard. That means when the input searches automatically update, visualizations on the dashboard will also automatically update because it uses the same search. Then it would seem like some visualizations are updating even though the Submit button was not yet clicked. What would you expect to happen in this situation? 

paritoshs24
Path Finder

Thankyou Elizabeth for wonderful explanation. I got your point.  I was naive to ask such question  (though i am actually naive in splunk as of now).

I was focussing on my inputs and submit button so much that i forgot abt my visualizations.

Though I found out different method.
Removed submit button --> made each input serially dependent on its previous inputs
Made all my visualizations dependent on all  of these inputs.
made default value of all of these inputs empty ...so there are no changes in visualisations when we are selecting inputs 

So untill and unless i select final  input .....none of  my visualisations will update. and next will update only when we have correct previous selections 

0 Karma

elizabethl_splu
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @paritoshs24 I'm so glad you found a solution! 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...