Dashboards & Visualizations

Dashboard drilldown: user clicks on value, search is ran on that value, value from this search opens a new web page

matansocher
Contributor

Hi,

I need to create a drilldown for my dashboard. I need to give the ability to the user to click on a value, and then run a new query and use the value that returned from the query to open a new web page with the value returned from the new query.

example:
I have the following table:
alt text

I want to exclude the "Drilldown ID" field from the table, and give the user the option to click on a record and another web page will be opened. I need the "Drilldown ID" field to be in the url of the new web page opened, but I dont want it in my table results.

Is that possible?

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@matansocher, Splunk 6.x Dashboard Examples App has "Table Element with Hidden Fields" example which explains the exact use case. @cmerriman has taken Splunk Simple XML configuration which lets you do this. However, if you want to hide a table field and still use the same for drilldown, you should try the following two steps:

Step 1: Use fieldsin Simple XML to remove "Drilldown ID" from being displayed in the table.

<fields>["ID", "Queue", "Date Created"]</fields>

Step 2: Use predefined table token $row.$ for <drilldown>

$row.Drilldown ID$

Following is a run anywhere dashboard with mocked data and drilldown to URL just to display the token in a new browser window.

<dashboard>
  <label>Table hide field use in drilldown</label>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <table>
        <search>
          <query>| makeresults
| eval "Drilldown ID"="somehexguid12ab1234",ID="INC1234567",Queue="Windows","Date Created"="2017-06-13"
| append 
    [| makeresults
     | eval "Drilldown ID"="somehexguid45cd4321",ID="INC7654321",Queue="HW","Date Created"="2017-06-19"]
| table "Drilldown ID", "ID", "Queue", "Date Created"</query>
          <earliest>-24h@h</earliest>
          <latest>now</latest>
          <sampleRatio>1</sampleRatio>
        </search>
        <option name="count">20</option>
        <option name="dataOverlayMode">none</option>
        <option name="drilldown">cell</option>
        <option name="percentagesRow">false</option>
        <option name="rowNumbers">false</option>
        <option name="totalsRow">false</option>
        <option name="wrap">true</option>
        <drilldown>
          <link target="_blank">http://answers.splunk.com/$row.Drilldown ID$</link>
        </drilldown>
      </table>
    </panel>
  </row>
</dashboard>

View solution in original post

niketn
Legend

@matansocher, Splunk 6.x Dashboard Examples App has "Table Element with Hidden Fields" example which explains the exact use case. @cmerriman has taken Splunk Simple XML configuration which lets you do this. However, if you want to hide a table field and still use the same for drilldown, you should try the following two steps:

Step 1: Use fieldsin Simple XML to remove "Drilldown ID" from being displayed in the table.

Step 2: Use predefined table token $row.$ for <drilldown>

$row.Drilldown ID$

Following is a run anywhere dashboard with mocked data and drilldown to URL just to display the token in a new browser window.

<dashboard>
  <label>Table hide field use in drilldown</label>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <table>
        <search>
          <query>| makeresults
| eval "Drilldown ID"="somehexguid12ab1234",ID="INC1234567",Queue="Windows","Date Created"="2017-06-13"
| append 
    [| makeresults
     | eval "Drilldown ID"="somehexguid45cd4321",ID="INC7654321",Queue="HW","Date Created"="2017-06-19"]
| table "Drilldown ID", "ID", "Queue", "Date Created"</query>
          <earliest>-24h@h</earliest>
          <latest>now</latest>
          <sampleRatio>1</sampleRatio>
        </search>
        <option name="count">20</option>
        <option name="dataOverlayMode">none</option>
        <option name="drilldown">cell</option>
        <option name="percentagesRow">false</option>
        <option name="rowNumbers">false</option>
        <option name="totalsRow">false</option>
        <option name="wrap">true</option>
        <drilldown>
          <link target="_blank">http://answers.splunk.com/$row.Drilldown ID$</link>
        </drilldown>
      </table>
    </panel>
  </row>
</dashboard>

matansocher
Contributor

Thank you!!

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

This is definitely possible!

add something like this to your source code after the </search> tag:

<drilldown>
          <link target="_blank">URL with token like this $row.drilldownid$</link>
        </drilldown>

you might want to add a new field that copies drilldown id for the token.
|eval drilldownid='Drilldown ID' or something similar in your search
you can use this in your source code to not include it in your panel (also after the </search> tag)

<fields>["Drilldown ID","ID","Queue","Date Created"]</fields>
0 Karma

matansocher
Contributor

I have managed to do this with that way, but I need my table not to include the field "Drilldown ID".
I want to look for it in another search and then open a new web page with that value.

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

Oh, I'm sorry, I missed that there was a search in between this one and the webpage.
for drilldown reference:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.3/Viz/EventHandlerReference#Drilldown_event_tokens
so for the first panel, if you're linking it to another panel in the dashboard, you could do something like:

<drilldown>
          <set token="drilldownid">$row.drilldownid$</set>
   </drilldown>

and then in that panel, use $drilldownid$ in the search and set

<drilldown>
       <link target="_blank">URL with token like this $row.fieldname$</link>
 </drilldown>

if you want to hide the second panel before clicking on the Drilldown ID, you can add depends="$drilldownid$" in the <panel> tag of the second panel

matansocher
Contributor

Thank you for your answer, it was really helpfull. I finally decided to use niketnilay's answer, it really simplified my needs.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...