Dashboards & Visualizations

Dashboard doesn't show any results depending on the nature of the content being shown

brettcave
Builder

I have a dashboard that runs a base search, and has panels that populate from it. One of the panels has a custom drilldown that sets a token, and that token is used by another panel.

<search id="basesearch"></search>
<panel><title>panel</title><search base="basesearch"><query>| chart c by Name
  <drilldown><set token="subpanelfilter">$row.Name$</set></drilldown>
</panel>
<panel><title>subpanel</title><search base="basesearch">
  <query>| search Name="$subpanelfilter$"
    | chart c over SomeOtherField by SomethingElse
  </query>
</panel>

The results rendered in "subpanel" either show "No Results" or a list of valid results, depending on what I use for the "chart over" value. For example, if i "chart over AFieldWithLongText" then I get No Results, but if I chart over a different field, results populate.

1 of the fields I am working with is called "Title". An example of Title might be something with this sort of text pattern (to indicate length and the sort of characters found):

1.18 Do not allow the "quick brown fox" to jump over the lazy dog.

Even if I use `| table Title SomeOtherField`, the "Title" column is just cut out, and only "SomeOtherField" is rendered (so it renders the same as if I'd used "| table SomeOtherField").

What could be causing the results to not render because of field characteristics?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@brettcave try to have transforming search in your base search and also restrict to fields that are required. Do not use Post Processing to retain all event and fields as is to be used across the dashboard. Refer to one of my older answer around the same along with best practices for Post Processing: https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/Why-do-my-post-process-timecharts-display-quot-no-resu...

brettcave
Builder

Oh - and if I "Open In Search" from the dashboard, the results load as expected. So it looks like it's related purely to loading in the dashboard.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...