Dashboards & Visualizations

Dashboard Usage with filters used

dudhatjanhavi
Explorer

Hi everyone,

I want to track/find which user used which dashboard at what time. I am able to do this by the information in index=_internal.

However, I also want to find out what dashboard filters the users added when they were looking at the dashboard.

We store this filter information in the dashboard URL. Is there maybe somewhere that Splunk collects the URLs of the dashboards visited? Then I can use a regex to scrape out the information I need. Or is there somewhere else I can find this information?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

dudhatjanhavi
Explorer

I was able to get it from there, I am not able to get the filter info correctly though. When I go to a dashboard splunk creates this log. However, when I change any filters, no more logs are created by Splunk, unless I refresh the dashboard. Even if the url updates when the filter is changed, no additional events are created in _internal. @richgalloway @PickleRick 

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I suppose (but I haven't verified it - you can try to trace it with debugging tools on your browser) that most of the logic is done on the client's side and changing filters/parameters only modifies the resulting parameters sent with resulting search to search-head. These parameters are not passed to server as a part of dashboard request since they have no meaning for the server. It's the client who request the searches from search-head.

0 Karma

dudhatjanhavi
Explorer

Ohh I see, do you know how else I can get that filter information then?

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Short of checking what searches were spawned? I'm afraid you can't.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Maybe this will help you https://community.splunk.com/t5/Monitoring-Splunk/Used-reports-dashboards/m-p/572272

If your filters are included in the uri, you should get them this way

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That information should be in the _internal index in one of the access logs.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...