Dashboards & Visualizations

Create two visualizations from same data set in a dashboard

kentont1

I have a search query that returns a list of transactions and their times. I've used that to create two kinds of visualizations: a timechart showing fluctuations over time and single value gauges showing summary values for the time period. In my dashboard, I have these as two separate panels, which I assume results in two separate queries for the same dataset, which seems like a waste of resources.... Is there a way for two visualizations to reference the same data set?

BTW, I assume that something like this is possible using Splunk datasets, but I don't believe my admin has given me permission to generate them 😞  So is there any way of doing this just within the dashboard itself without using datasets?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

adityakhetan
Loves-to-Learn Lots

You can use base search in your dashboard. In that case your query will run only once.

<dashboard>
<label>NAME</lbael>
<search id="baseSearch">
    <query>
       index=xyz sourcetype=abc ....
    </query>
</search>
<row>
    <panel>
      <chart>
        <title>PANEL 1</title>
        <search base="baseSearch">
          <query>
            | timechart .....
          </query>
        </search>
      </chart>
    </panel>
    <panel>
      <chart>
        <title>Panel 2</title>
        <search base="baseSearch">
          <query>
            | stats count ....
          </query>
        </search>
      </chart>
    </panel>
  </row>
</dashboard>

So your search will run once and transforming commands on the result set will be applied in each panel.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...