Dashboards & Visualizations

How to copy dashboard from one App to another?

hxa27
Path Finder

Hi,
I have different apps with different dashboards and alerts. The goal is to all the app's dashboards in one app which contains all the dashboards and alerts. Is there away to do that. (Note: I am not talking about packaging the apps because I know how to do that). For example, I have Apps called A, B and C with dashboards and alerts; I want all these to be in an App called ex. My_App ?

Thanks

Labels (1)

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You can leave them where the are and create a custom navigation menu inside a specific app that has a hand-created list of links that point to dashboards in (m)any other app(s).

guarisma
Contributor

1.Change the permissions for the original Dashboard to Global.
2.Open your new app, go to Dashboards, look for the Dashboard and Clone it (Edit->Clone), it will clone into the new App.
3.If you don't want the original dashboard to be on the original App you can delete it after being cloned.

4.Profit!!

smoir_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Go to Settings - > User interface -> Views
Find the dashboard/view you want to move and click Move.
Select the new app you want to move it to.

dbot2001
Path Finder

This is the answer.

What version of Splunk was this feature implemented?

chimell
Motivator

Hi
To do this , you have :
For dashboard
Set dashboard permissions of the dashboard that you want to copy to global.
In splunk web Follow this Settings - > User interface -> Views -> Permissions
Select your app in Apps context menu , then find your dashboard and click on clone ,you can modify dashboard name if you want .
In splunk web Go to Settings -> User interface -> navigation menu for add dashboard view .
Use this for example

<nav search_view="your app name " color="#0072c6">
       <view name="your first view" default='true' />
      <view name="your second view"/>
     </nav>

For alert .
In splunk web Go to Settings-> Searches , report , alerts then set alert permissions of the alerts that you want to copy to global.
In the Apps context menu select your apps then click on clone in the alerts row and modify his name if you want.

chimell
Motivator

Thanks you to up vote my answer, therefore i want you to accept it.

0 Karma

sk314
Builder

Copy/Paste the relevant dashboard xml code (from the source apps) to the xml in your app.

hxa27
Path Finder

Thanks for the explanation. I am going to try this .

Thanks again

0 Karma

sk314
Builder

First off, any modifications should be made in local folder. So you need to copy your views to Splunk//etc//apps//My_App_Name//local//data//ui//views

Secondly, you must specify navigation for your views in a separate xml in the following path.
Splunk//etc//apps//My_App_Name//local//data//ui//nav//default.xml

the nav xml will be of this form:

<nav search_view="search" color="#0072c6">
  <view name="your first view" default='true' />
 <view name="your second view"/>
</nav>

and so on. Also, this will create a menu item for each view that you specify. You can group them using collections keyword in your navigation xml. You can lookup the documentation for that.

Having said so, this copies all views in to a single application( and not individual dashboards).

Hope this helps.

0 Karma

hxa27
Path Finder

There should be files for each dashboard in this directory Splunk\etc\apps\My_App_Name\default\data\ui\views. So I copied the same directory of the new app ,but in my case not all of them have it and did not work with me

0 Karma

sk314
Builder

How did you try to copy the dashboard?

0 Karma

hxa27
Path Finder

Well, we have so many dashboards on Production and we are trying to combine all of them in one application. So, copying each code to another it's kind of waste of time. So, I was trying to find an easy way to do it. I tried to copy the dashboard from the app itself but did not work for me; and it's possible that I did something wrong.... Any thought or idea.

Thanks for the response

0 Karma

sk314
Builder

Any particular reason why it won't work. May be we can help you with that.

0 Karma

hxa27
Path Finder

is there another way? Because I know this one but it does not work on my case . . .

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...