Dashboards & Visualizations

Conditional functions in dashboards

FZenner

Hello all,

Its the first time I actually post a question in here, since most topics are documented quite well and many questions have already been asked and answered. However I finally found an issue that I cannot find any answer to....

I guess that splunk is not designed for that but I nevertheless want to build sth. like this:

I´m currently building a dashboard that serves besides other purposes as a documentation site for adding new values or modifying them (in a csv lookup file).

The issue I now got is that although creating a query for creating new entries (via | makeresults... etc.) and a separate one for modifying existing entries, Its not possible for me to combine them into one and switching inbetween the two functions based on a value provided by an input field.

I´ve so far tried the following as a "switch function":

| eval var=case(switch="yes","| append [| makeresults | eval ExternalId=",switch="no","| search ExternalId=",1==1,"| append [| makeresults | eval ExternalId=")

In a second attempt I´ve put the whole case dependant part into the variable, eg.:

| append [| makeresults | eval DisplayName="$displayname$" | eval ExternalId="$location$" | eval Address="$address$" 
| eval Location_type="$location_type$" | eval Primary_contact="$primary_contact$" | eval Secondary_contact="$secondary_contact$" 
| eval Regional_manager="$regional_manager$" | eval spoc="$spoc$" | eval subnets="$subnets$"]

However in this case splunk takes the variable references as literates and creates an entry that looks as follows:

$displayname$$location$$address$$location_type$$primary_contact$$secondary_contact$$regional_manager$$spoc$$subnets$

I´ve tried the known escape chars etc. but nothing worked.

Do you have any Ideas on how to solve this issue?

Many thanks ahead.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...