Dashboards & Visualizations

Chart data from 2 saved searches

gnovak
Builder

Hi

Is it possible to chart data from 2 saved searches? I currently have 2 charts that are generated, each using a single saved search to generate each chart. What I'd like to do is combine 2 saved searches into one chart. The chart is displaying the data in columns.

Currently the code I have in my dashboard to generate the charts is below:

<row>
<chart>
  <title>Total Emails To Send For All Registries</title>
  <searchName>balance_email_to_send</searchName>
 <option name="charting.chart">column</option>
<option name="charting.primaryAxisTitle.text">Date</option>
<option name="charting.secondaryAxisTitle.text">Number of Emails</option>
 <option name="charting.chart.useAbsoluteSpacing">true</option>
 <option name="charting.chart.columnSpacing">5</option>
 <option name="charting.legend.placement">top</option>
</chart>
<chart>
<chart>
  <title>Total Emails Sent To All Registries</title>
  <searchName>balance_email_sent</searchName>
  <option name="charting.chart">column</option>
<option name="charting.primaryAxisTitle.text">Date</option>
<option name="charting.secondaryAxisTitle.text">Number of Emails</option>
 <option name="charting.chart.useAbsoluteSpacing">true</option>
 <option name="charting.chart.columnSpacing">5</option>
 <option name="charting.legend.placement">top</option>
</chart>

How can I have both of these saved searches generate data in 1 chart? Oh and also add another color and category to the legend too.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

ziegfried
Influencer

You should be able to get a single search returning the combined results of both searches:

sourcetype="cron_BalanceEmail" (source="asia" OR source="info" OR source="org") starthoursago="120" BalanceEmail sent 
| rex field=_raw "[BalanceEmail] ?(?[\d]+) of (?[\d]+) of email notification sent." 
| search TotalEmailsToSend="*" OR TotalEmailsSent="*"
| timechart sum(TotalEmailsToSend) as TotalEmailsToSend sum(TotalEmailsSent) as TotalEmailsSent

View solution in original post

ziegfried
Influencer

You should be able to get a single search returning the combined results of both searches:

sourcetype="cron_BalanceEmail" (source="asia" OR source="info" OR source="org") starthoursago="120" BalanceEmail sent 
| rex field=_raw "[BalanceEmail] ?(?[\d]+) of (?[\d]+) of email notification sent." 
| search TotalEmailsToSend="*" OR TotalEmailsSent="*"
| timechart sum(TotalEmailsToSend) as TotalEmailsToSend sum(TotalEmailsSent) as TotalEmailsSent

gnovak
Builder

Chart generated nicely! Thanks for the help as I missed a few minor details as usual!

0 Karma

gnovak
Builder

This worked. sourcetype="cron_BalanceEmail" (source="asia" OR source="info" OR source="org") starthoursago="120" BalanceEmail sent | rex field=_raw "[BalanceEmail] ?(?[\d]+) of (?[\d]+) of email notification sent." | search TotalEmailsToSend="" OR TotalEmailsSent=""

0 Karma

gnovak
Builder

I'm going to play with it a little though....

0 Karma

gnovak
Builder

no go on that search...it doesn't like the regex...

0 Karma

gnovak
Builder

Here are the 2 saved searches:

Total Emails to Send search:

sourcetype="cron_BalanceEmail" (source="asia" OR source="info" OR source="org") starthoursago="120" BalanceEmail sent | rex field=_raw "[BalanceEmail] ?(?[\d]+) of (?[\d]+) of email notification sent." | search TotalEmailsToSend="*" | timechart sum(TotalEmailsToSend)

Total Emails Sent search:

sourcetype="cron_BalanceEmail" (source="asia" OR source="info" OR source="org") starthoursago="120" BalanceEmail sent | rex field=_raw "[BalanceEmail] ?(?[\d]+) of (?[\d]+) of email notification sent." | search TotalEmailsSent="*" | timechart sum(TotalEmailsSent)

0 Karma

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Without knowing the exact search, it is extremly difficult to advise on how to insert a second set of results into the same chart. You might be able to use the "append" command to add in a separate set of results to a specific search, then create a chart based off of that complete result set.

0 Karma

gnovak
Builder

I'll have to research the append command a bit further!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...