Dashboards & Visualizations

Can I set tokens from other fields in an input search?

peterson_wwt

I have a dropdown input that allows the user to choose from a variety of "result sets"
That drop down is populated by a search that has a field that use for the label, and a field I use for the value. It also has other fields (earliest and latest times) that I want to use in all subsequent charts.

How do I set additional tokens besides the initial fieldForValue, based on additional fields in my populating search?

Example

<input type="dropdown" token="result_set_id">
      <label>Choose a result set</label>
      <fieldForLabel>human_name</fieldForLabel>
      <fieldForValue>result_set_name</fieldForValue>
      <search ref="all_result_sets"></search>
      <change>
          <set token="human_name_label">$label$</set>
         <set token="chart_earliest_time">$result_set_earliest$</set>
      </change>
</input>

In this example I have charts that need to use $result_set_id$, $human_name_label$ and $chart_earliest_time$
the first two work of course, the last one does not.

Seems like a common use case, but I am struggling to make it work.

please help?

thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You can use the selected dropdown values and run another search and set token off the search result.

<search>
          <query>***your search to fetch result_set_earliest based on token $result_set_id$</query>
          <earliest>-24h@h</earliest>
          <latest>now</latest>
          <done>
            <set token="result_set_earliest">$row.result_set_earliest$</set>
          </done>
    </search>

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You can use the selected dropdown values and run another search and set token off the search result.

<search>
          <query>***your search to fetch result_set_earliest based on token $result_set_id$</query>
          <earliest>-24h@h</earliest>
          <latest>now</latest>
          <done>
            <set token="result_set_earliest">$row.result_set_earliest$</set>
          </done>
    </search>
0 Karma

peterson_wwt

thats it! I tried $results. and $search. and $job. but didn't know to try $row. Thanks. Where is this documented? I searched and searched and could not find it.

Dear splunk: SEO on your documentation sucks. Googling rarely brings up the documentation you need.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...