Dashboards & Visualizations

Calendar Heatmap Visualization colors

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi at all,
I'd like to use Heatmap Visualization but I'm not able to change blocks colors.
I'm able to change min and max color and the intermediate values but I don't know how to change blocks color when value is 0 or NULL that usually is black (it isn't good for a user to see AS KPI a black cell, it could think that there's a problem instead value is 0!): I didn't find any option to do this, because min value is never 0.
Anyone has any idea?
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@cusello, Black cells are displayed in Calendar Heat Map when the statistical value for specific time period is not numeric. So you can try use fillnull command to replace null with 0 or some default high or low number to apply color as per your range. If your data already has 0 Heatmap should adjust color ranges accordingly.

I would also request you to check out Punchcard Custom Visualization which depicts information similar to Timechart but gives more hover options. Bubbles in Punchcard can be set to specific size based on value as well. So, Null value bubble will not be present at all.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@cusello, Black cells are displayed in Calendar Heat Map when the statistical value for specific time period is not numeric. So you can try use fillnull command to replace null with 0 or some default high or low number to apply color as per your range. If your data already has 0 Heatmap should adjust color ranges accordingly.

I would also request you to check out Punchcard Custom Visualization which depicts information similar to Timechart but gives more hover options. Bubbles in Punchcard can be set to specific size based on value as well. So, Null value bubble will not be present at all.

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi niketnilay,
thank you for your quick answer.

I have in black both cells without values and cells with value=0.
I had the dubt that values was in not numeric format but I verified format with typeof function and they are all numeric, infact I can sum them.

This is my search where Day is the date of execution of a VM and KPI_Average is a calculation of many KPIs, values are in a Summary:

index=my_summary
| search host="myhost"
| eval _time=strptime(Day,"%d/%m/%Y")
| fillnull KPI_Average
| timechart span=1d sum(KPI_Average) AS KPI_Average

I'm trying Bubbles in Punchcard,

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

Hi Giuseppe,

I am not sure if it is typo but seems fillnull is reversed.

index=my_summary  host="myhost"
 | eval _time=strptime(Day,"%d/%m/%Y")
 | timechart span=1d sum(KPI_Average) AS KPI_Average
 | fillnull value=0 KPI_Average

You can validate results/rows in Table as well. Ideally 0's will be Grey in Calendar Heat Map.

If you are testing Punchcard, hopefully you will like it better.

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Solved!
Thank you.
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

Anytime 🙂

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I spoke too early:
this is true if there's at least one value not zero, if all the values are 0 or NULL all the cells are black!
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

This is still surprising. Timechart command with fillnull should make the buckets continuous and ideally not leave any NULL range.

niketn
Legend

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...