Dashboards & Visualizations

Best practice for hinting drilldown actions to dashboard users?

Graham_Hanningt
Builder

I'm adding various drilldown actions to Splunk 7.3.0 dashboards.

I like the variety of actions that I can define. For example, I've defined some actions that affect the current dashboard by setting tokens (also set by UI controls) to filter the dashboard searches. Other actions invoke auto-defined searches (arguably, the easiest drilldowns to define). I'm considering adding other actions, such as custom searches and links to other dashboards.

However, this variety, while welcome, raises a question: How does the user know what clicking a visualization will do? The mouseover tooltip that Splunk Web displays when you hover over a data point shows the corresponding underlying data values, but offers no clue as to what clicking will do.

I'd like to offer a hint in the UI about what clicking will do.

What do other dashboard developers do about this?

Yes, as a fallback, I can write separate documentation, presented externally, that describes, "If you click on a bar in the Widgets by user chart, then [this will happen]", but that type of external documentation seems to me suboptimal, inelegant, old-fashioned.

A collapsible HTML dashboard panel containing this documentation strikes me as only slightly better.

You might respond, "Let the user explore; let them find out for themselves." I'm only partially sympathetic to that answer. While the effect of actions that jump to a new search in the default Search app cannot be missed, the effect of actions that set tokens might not be immediately obvious to some less-observant users: they might think, "What did that do? What just happened?" I'd like to avoid that situation.

0 Karma

HiroshiSatoh
Champion
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...