Dashboards & Visualizations

Annotation chart over line chart overlay

Paolo_Prigione
Builder

I am struggling to create an advanced view to overlay an "annotation" chart onto a "line" chart in order to display meaningful events over performance data.

By googling the site I came across this page which shed a bit of light onto the topic.

http://zh-hans.splunk.com/base/Documentation/4.1/Tmp/CustomChartingConfigs#chart

Annotation charts are related to range marker and value marker charts in that they are mainly useful as overlays above another chart, such as a line chart.

Yet, I am failing at gluing all the pieces together. Do you happen to have some examples of chart overlays?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Gaurav
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Paolo, you've seemed to landed on some draft documentation for features that are in prototype and haven't made it into the product, which is why it does not work.

We don't current support annotated charts, though do watch for it in a future version of Splunk

View solution in original post

JimRichard

On Performance Charts using predict, trendline or x11, I'd like a line running across the chart that indicates the capacity limit of a given configuration or metric that indicates when in time the limit will be exceeded. So with apache if I'm configured for 500 Pre-Forked daemons, I'd like a line that indicates that limit.

Related item I bump the daemon limit ....
If my HTTPD daemons each take 4MB and I've got 4GB of memory to spare for apache I'd like to know when Apache will be close to reaching that limit (1000 daemons).

More importantly I'd like to make it clear to managers and business folks what the limits are and how close or far off we are from hitting them.

Is this possible in release 5.0.7

Regards,
Jim

0 Karma

gcoles
Communicator

Us as well. We are using Splunk for graphing website performance and analytics, and I would LOVE to put annotations on the graph to show whenever we push new code to the website, so that we can try to better visualize the impacts of those pushes in near-real time (which may occur several times per day).

0 Karma

gfuente
Motivator

I would like to use this feature too. Could someone give us further information about the development of this feature?

thanks!

splunk_zen
Builder

Can some Splunk developer/Project manager comment on this feature progress?
Is it expectable to be rolled into Splunk 4.4?

0 Karma

ikneaddough
Engager

Hi,

I'm trying to do the same thing as Paolo. The last post in this thread was in 2010 -- have Annotation Charts been implemented since then?

I'm looking for something like this: http://code.google.com/apis/ajax/playground/?type=visualization

Thanks!
-Colin

jflomenberg
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Paolo,

I'm a new Product Manager here at Splunk and am investigating use cases for data annotation. I'd love to learn more about what you are precisely trying to do so I can make a better case for why we should build this functionality and hopefully better serve your needs.

rotten
Communicator

We've had to do this same thing for various presentations and reports by doing a print screen, and then editing the image.

0 Karma

Paolo_Prigione
Builder

Hi,

my company produces an enterprise capacity planning suite so I'm very used at seeing charts which overlay performance or workload data with system or application-wide events (here event=incident or human intervention, etc). This way, in front of a strong trend change (cpu or requests per seconds raising up or falling down, ...), I can display my current knowledge at the application level (maintenance on another server in the same cluster, configuration file changes, RAM increase, ...) I can also envision a way to use this to "describe" previous incidents once they've been solved

0 Karma

Gaurav
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Paolo, you've seemed to landed on some draft documentation for features that are in prototype and haven't made it into the product, which is why it does not work.

We don't current support annotated charts, though do watch for it in a future version of Splunk

Paolo_Prigione
Builder

Ouch, now I see. I had also found another page which seemed less of a "work in progress" talking about annotations.

I'll definitely wait for it as I believe its value would be huge.
Thank you all for the clarifications

0 Karma

mattness
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Paolo! What you've stumbled onto are some docs in progress that are intended to replace the existing charting reference docs in the Developer's Manual. I'm working on them now and hope to have them complete soon. I wouldn't depend on them as a reference just yet as they will likely change a fair amount before they are put into their proper home.

I do not know of an existing example of an annotation chart overlay configuration to show you. I'll see if I can get one of our engineers to provide something.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...