Dashboards & Visualizations

After upgrading Splunk from 6.2.5 to 6.3.0, why are letters/numbers in my dashboard displaying very large? How do I change this?

nicolay_koecher
Explorer

Hello Splunk Team,

I've currently updated Splunk from version 6.2.5 to 6.3. Now the letters and numbers in my dashboard are extremely big. How can I change this to normal style?

Thanks for your suggestions.

greetings NIK

1 Solution

mporath_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The Single Value visualization has been redesigned to be as readable as possible from a distance.

You have a few options:

1. Make use of the new time context if you are showing a numeric value where that you can query over time. The visualization has new a sparkline at the bottom showing the ups and downs in recent history (based on your time range). It also has a trend indicator that shows you how the value has changed between a recent moment in time and now. (Think: Stock price ticker)
  2. Reduce the single value panel height. The default height is 115px. You can reduce the height in SimpleXML. See the height attribute in the Single Value section of the Simple XML Reference for more documentation.
  3. Replace the Single Value panel with a custom HTML panel, as described in the updated Dashboard Examples App.

View solution in original post

mporath_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The Single Value visualization has been redesigned to be as readable as possible from a distance.

You have a few options:

1. Make use of the new time context if you are showing a numeric value where that you can query over time. The visualization has new a sparkline at the bottom showing the ups and downs in recent history (based on your time range). It also has a trend indicator that shows you how the value has changed between a recent moment in time and now. (Think: Stock price ticker)
  2. Reduce the single value panel height. The default height is 115px. You can reduce the height in SimpleXML. See the height attribute in the Single Value section of the Simple XML Reference for more documentation.
  3. Replace the Single Value panel with a custom HTML panel, as described in the updated Dashboard Examples App.

rmsit
Communicator

Some good news. I was able to edit my single value searches my dragging the window bottom-to-top to reduce it's size and resaving. Now both fonts and value size are closer to normal.

0 Karma

anupjishnu
Path Finder

Does not work. We have font-sizes defined in custom CSS as follows:

.snglvalueitem
     {
         margin: 5px !important;
         font-size: 16px !important;
     }

Worked well in 6.2.
In 6.3 it does not work and font-size of 75px is what we get.
If we use the height in SimpleXML, that eats away the bottom-margin....and again we now need to figure out what height will get the font-size back to 16px.
This change in 6.3 has made working on dashboards less user-friendly.

0 Karma

rmsit
Communicator

I am having the same issue where several dashboards, searches, reports etc. fonts are too large. Where is the default CSS file located to adjust the fonts globally?

nicolay_koecher
Explorer

Hello,

changing the height works fine for single values (Numbers), but it won´t work with text. I use text and stylesheed (single_decorations.css) to change the text color. Now I can change the height but tbe text and symbols are still big. How can I change this.

Here´s one of my queries:

index="printing" source="FRAINPSP1819" "local system"| rex field=source "(?FRAINPSP.{4})" |dedup _time |stats max(prn_count) | rename max(prn_count) as Local1|appendcols [search index="printing" source="FRAINPSP1820" "local system"| rex field=source "(?FRAINPSP.{4})" |dedup _time |stats max(prn_count) | rename max(prn_count) as Local2] | eval DiffLocal=(Local2-Local1) | eval status=if(DiffLocal=="0" ,1,100) | eval stext=if(status=1,"ok","Error") | fields stext status | rangemap field=status low=1-1 severe=100-100 default=low**

greetings NIK

0 Karma

mporath_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you look at the "Custom Decoration" section in the Dashboard 6.x examples app, you can change the font size in CSS: alt text

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...