Dashboards & Visualizations

After upgrading Splunk from 6.0.x to 6.5.0, why are we unable to load dashboards embedded in an iframe?

runner724
Path Finder

Hello all,

After upgrading Splunk from 6.0.x to 6.5.0, we are unable to load Splunk dashboards that are presented to the users in an iframe.

"Refused to display '(the url)' in a frame because it set 'X-Frame-Options' to 'SAMEORIGIN'."

1) I added the following to C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\system\local\server.conf:

[httpServer]
x_frame_options_sameorigin = false

2) I also added the following to C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\system\local\web.conf:

[settings]
x_frame_options_sameorigin = false

After making the two changes above and restarting the splunkd Service, I get the same error above.

According to my research, the settings in system\local should take highest precedence so I'm at a loss as to why neither change has effect.

0 Karma

mattymo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

did you create the embed links back in 6.0.x?

Out of curiosity have you tried removing and re-creating the embed to see if it changes anything?

Also have you tried multiple browsers?

- MattyMo
0 Karma

runner724
Path Finder

Good questions-

I created a brand-new dashboard (under Splunk 6.5.0) and added it to an iframe. It refused to display when browsed to using IE11 and Chrome 53 on multiple computers.

The web page source is simple:

The dashboard loads perfectly fine outside of an iframe.

frobinson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

marcoscala
Builder

I downvoted this post because not pertinent with the issue

0 Karma

runner724
Path Finder

That's a great post, but the opposite of my issue.

I am not putting iframes in the Splunk dashboard - an iframe is hosting the splunk dashboard, and the dashboard refuses to render in the iframe because of the x-frame-options.

I edited my post to hopefully make that clearer.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...