Dashboards & Visualizations

After I created a dashboard as one user and shared permissions, why is another user getting "Error in "DataModelEvaluator:"Data model was not found"?

bidahor13
Path Finder

Hi,

I recently created a dashboard to display some server information. After setting up the search, it works fine under my profile, but won't work with another profile. I changed the permissions, but I'm still getting the same result. The error message below keeps popping up on the dashboard.

Error in "DataModelEvaluator:"Data model <my_server_name > was not found 

Need help ?

1 Solution

frobinson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hello @bidahor13,
I'm a technical writer here at Splunk. I'd like to help with your question. Where did you change the permissions? Was it for the dashboard and/or the data model? My first thought is that both objects might need permissions updates. Let me know and we can continue to troubleshoot.

Thanks,
@frobinson_splunk

View solution in original post

doksu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I had the same issue when creating a correlation search in ES that pivots against a datamodel in a custom TA. I had to manually add the TA's name to the list of imported apps in '$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/SplunkEnterpriseSecuritySuite/metadata/local.meta' so that the datamodel is "visible" to ES and then the correlation search could successfully pivot against it. If @frobinson_splunk has any suggestions in this case it would be much appreciated.

0 Karma

frobinson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hello @bidahor13,
I'm a technical writer here at Splunk. I'd like to help with your question. Where did you change the permissions? Was it for the dashboard and/or the data model? My first thought is that both objects might need permissions updates. Let me know and we can continue to troubleshoot.

Thanks,
@frobinson_splunk

bidahor13
Path Finder

Dashboard.

0 Karma

frobinson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Ok, then it sounds like you can check the permissions on the data model to make sure that they also are the same for the other user you're trying to share with. That way, that other user and you have the same access to the dashboard and to the data model that's driving the dashboard.

Does that help? Please let me know if not.

bidahor13
Path Finder

So, this is what I did: I went into data model ;;selected the dashboard , and changed the permission to read , selected app as an option and saved - that fixed the problem. So, I think the first option you mentioned worked.

frobinson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Great! Glad to hear it.

0 Karma

frobinson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Please feel free to accept the answer if it solved your question. 🙂 Thanks!

0 Karma

frobinson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

See:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.4/Knowledge/Managedatamodels#About_data_model_permis...
From this page:

"Important: When you share a data model the knowledge objects associated with that data model (such as lookups or field extractions) must have the same permissions. Otherwise you run the risk of running into errors when other people try to use the data model.

For example, if your data model is shared to all users of the Search app but uses a lookup table that is only shared with users that have the Admin role, everything will work fine for Admin role users, but all other users will get errors that say things like "the lookup table does not exist" when they try to use the data model in Pivot. The solution is either to restrict the data model to Admin users or to share the lookup to all users of the Search app."

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...