Dashboards & Visualizations

Adding Existing Dashboards and Reports to a New App

aferone
Builder

I have a collection of dashboards, powered by saved scheduled searches, that I would like to organize into a new app. I've read over the documentation of creating a new app. However, I can't seem to get things running as they should.

Whenever I copy the views into the proper directory of the new app, and place the saved searches into "savedsearches.conf", I get all kinds of errors saying the searches can't be found.

Then, when I create a new dashboard and reports from scratch, they show up through the GUI for views and searches, but I can't find the through the CLI!

This is getting frustrating. Help!!

Tags (2)

aferone
Builder

Yeah, I checked that link out. But it keep referring to the files in the app. I can't find any of my searches in my app directory to remove those vsid entries.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ideally they should be. Confirm from UI that they are under correct app.

For view state error, visit this.
http://answers.splunk.com/answers/22779/unable-to-get-viewstate-information

0 Karma

aferone
Builder

I did both views and searches, yes. Now, I am getting the "Unable to get viewstate information; formatting may not be correct" error.

The problem is again that I can't find the searches in the app directory structure to remove the vsid entries. Shouldn't they be in the app directory structure of my app?

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When you change the sharing permission to 'This App' from private, they should be available in etc/apps/myapp/local. Hope you're cloning both Searches and views and will change permission for both.

0 Karma

aferone
Builder

Will they end up in the app at some point? Even when I shared them out to the app, I don't see any instances of the searches within the directory structure of the app in the CLI ($SPLUNKHOME$/etc/apps/myapp

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

All cloned objects will be private by default. They should be present under etc/users//

0 Karma

aferone
Builder

OK, I have cloned my reports to the dashboard, and that seems to work. However, in looking through the CLI, I can't seem to find where the new cloned files are placed. Where would they be?

0 Karma

aferone
Builder

No, I haven't been restarting my search head. Do I need to?

And for cloning, how do I control which app they go to?

0 Karma

sbrant_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Check permissions on all of the components (dashboards, saved searches, etc). This might be easier via the web interface but you can also lookup in <app_name>/metadata/local.meta

sbrant_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It's essentially setting scope, as well as editing permissions to read/write. You can look under "settings -> searches and reports" and check sharing to edit what those settings are. For dashboards, there is no scope, just read/write, check under "settings -> user interface -> views".

0 Karma

aferone
Builder

I know I can control permissions through roles, but I was unclear with how to do it for apps?

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you doing a splunk refresh or restart after copying view xml files and copying savedsearches.conf file?? Also, it would be a better idea to clone the objects required into your new app from GUI itself.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...