Dashboards & Visualizations

Add static HTML panel to simple HTML dashboard and reference local static content

tmuth_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

How do I add a static HTML panel to a simple HTML dashboard and reference local static content, such as images or PDFs? I'm on splunk 6.5+ and I'd also like to use a dynamic variable for the app name in the URL references.

1 Solution

tmuth_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'm glad you asked that question @tmuth ! I bet you searched for an answer and didn't find exactly what you were looking for. Note that with splunk 6.5+ we can use global tokens to access environment information - link

1. Put static content in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/your_app/appserver/static . You can also create subdirectories there. In this case I put my file in ./doc/USERGUIDE-2015.pdf , so the full path for my "abc" app is $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/abc/appserver/static/doc/USERGUIDE-2015.pdf
  2. I can now reference this file using the following path in a Simple XML dashboard because of the global tokens: /static/app/$env:app$/doc/USERGUIDE-2015.pdf
  3. Below is the full code for my Simple XML dashboard:

doc

Documentation for this project

• 2015 User Guide (local copy) - [here]

View solution in original post

tmuth_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'm glad you asked that question @tmuth ! I bet you searched for an answer and didn't find exactly what you were looking for. Note that with splunk 6.5+ we can use global tokens to access environment information - link

1. Put static content in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/your_app/appserver/static . You can also create subdirectories there. In this case I put my file in ./doc/USERGUIDE-2015.pdf , so the full path for my "abc" app is $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/abc/appserver/static/doc/USERGUIDE-2015.pdf
  2. I can now reference this file using the following path in a Simple XML dashboard because of the global tokens: /static/app/$env:app$/doc/USERGUIDE-2015.pdf
  3. Below is the full code for my Simple XML dashboard:

doc

Documentation for this project

• 2015 User Guide (local copy) - [here]
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...