Dashboards & Visualizations

Add clock to a panel dashboard

csimonnet

Hi,
I was wondering how can I create a panel with only a clock on it.
I tried to insert a html code an then add a javascript file but the panel is still empty.

xml dashboard:

<dashboard script="clock.js">
  <row>
    <panel>
      <html>
        <div class="clock"></div>
      </html>
    </panel>
</row>
</dashboard>

clock.js:

require([

"splunkjs/ready!",

"splunkjs/mvc/simplexml/ready!"

],
function clock() {// We create a new Date object and assign it to a variable called "time".
var time = new Date(),

// Access the "getHours" method on the Date object with the dot accessor.
    hours = time.getHours(),

// Access the "getMinutes" method with the dot accessor.
    minutes = time.getMinutes(),

seconds = time.getSeconds();

document.querySelectorAll('.clock')[0].innerHTML = harold(hours) + ":" + harold(minutes) + ":" + harold(seconds);

function harold(standIn) {
    if (standIn < 10) {
      standIn = '0' + standIn
    }
    return standIn;
  }
}
setInterval(clock, 1000);
);

Did I miss something?

0 Karma
1 Solution

elliotproebstel
Champion

The syntax of your JS is a little off. I cleaned it up here:

require([
  "splunkjs/ready!",
], function() {
  function clock() {// We create a new Date object and assign it to a variable called "time".
    var time = new Date(), hours = time.getHours(), minutes = time.getMinutes(), seconds = time.getSeconds();
    document.querySelectorAll('.clock')[0].innerHTML = harold(hours) + ":" + harold(minutes) + ":" + harold(seconds);

if (standIn < 10) {
        standIn = '0' + standIn
      }
      return standIn;
    }
  }
});

After you've fixed your JS, you'll need to use the _bump function to get Splunk to pick up the new JS. So you'll visit http(s)://your.server.here:port/en-US/_bump
You can read more about using _bump here:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/AdvancedDev/CustomizationOptions

View solution in original post

0 Karma

elliotproebstel
Champion

The syntax of your JS is a little off. I cleaned it up here:

require([
  "splunkjs/ready!",
], function() {
    var time = new Date(), hours = time.getHours(), minutes = time.getMinutes(), seconds = time.getSeconds();

if (standIn < 10) {
        standIn = '0' + standIn
      }
      return standIn;
    }
  }
});

After you've fixed your JS, you'll need to use the _bump function to get Splunk to pick up the new JS. So you'll visit http(s)://your.server.here:port/en-US/_bump
You can read more about using _bump here:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/AdvancedDev/CustomizationOptions

0 Karma

csimonnet

Thanks!
It works

0 Karma

paramagurukarth
Builder

But it shows your client time (Time in which your browser is running)..

May be not inline with your data always. Please try to get server time..

0 Karma

elliotproebstel
Champion

Yes, this will always show client time, because JavaScript runs in the browser, not on the server. If you want server time, you'll need a query that gets sent to the server. I don't know off-hand what the right query would be for that, so this would make a good follow-up question presented in its own Answers post. Probably nobody will see the question buried here in comments, especially since the original question has been answered.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...