Splunk Dev

timechart with dynamic data series?

yww325

I found a document saying you can create multiple data series here:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Search/Chartmultipledataseries
But the number of data series is a fixed value, you have to specify these names and conditions for each of them.
In my case, let's assume we have a ReturnCode field and an AppName field in the search return, the return number could be any number.
I want to see a timely distribution, so I used time chart, and I also want data series group by AppName and ReturnCode, so now I use like | timechart count(eval(ReturnCode=1)) as 1, count(eval(ReturnCode=2)) as 2 by AppName
But I realize the ReturnCode can be totally different according to the application(AppName), for AppA, return code can be 1,2,3,4; for AppB, return code can be 2,3,5. I want one colored data series for each combination of AppName+ReturnCode in the timechart
How can I achieve that?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Give this a try

your base search 
| eval App_RC=AppName.":".ReturnCode
| timechart count by App_RC

View solution in original post

yww325

Yes, that will work, thank you.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Give this a try

your base search 
| eval App_RC=AppName.":".ReturnCode
| timechart count by App_RC

niketn
Legend

@yww325, I have converted @somesoni2 's comment to answer. Please accept to mark this as answered.
Also make sure you post your comments using Add comment for specific thread instead of posting a new answer.

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...