Splunk Dev

splunk validate cluster-bundle throws error "invalid key in stanza [SSL]" when i set useClientSSLCompression = true

robgarner
Path Finder

Hi -

I'm configuring a TLS listener on an index cluster. Given this inputs.conf:

[splunktcp://50514]
queueSize = 100MB

[splunktcp-ssl://9998]
disabled = 0

[SSL]
serverCert    = /opt/splunk/etc/auth/certs/my_cert.pem
sslVersions   = tls1.2
useClientSSLCompression = true
requireClientCert       = false

why do I get the error "[Not Critical] Invalid key in stanza [SSL] in /opt/splunk/etc/master-apps/my_app/local/inputs.conf, line 10: useClientSSLCompression (value: true)" when i run 'splunk show cluster-bundle-status' ?

According to https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.2/Security/ConfigureSplunkforwardingtousesignedcert... "useClientSSLCompression" is a valid key in the SSL stanza in "inputs.conf" on an indexer.

Thanks,
-Rob

Tags (1)
0 Karma

roden
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Per the link you provided, useClientSSLCompression is part of the [tcpout] stanza, not the [SSL] stanza:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.2/Security/ConfigureSplunkforwardingtousesignedcert...

0 Karma

hardikJsheth
Motivator
0 Karma

robgarner
Path Finder

While I appreciate your suggestion, I don't think it's correct, or perhaps there are multiple errors in the docs. I'm configuring clustered indexers. The link I included specifically states that the key and stanza belong in "inputs.conf" on the indexer. The documentation you linked to for "outputs.conf" says:

"Forwarders require outputs.conf; non-forwarding Splunk instances do not use it. It determines how the forwarder sends data to receiving Splunk instances, either indexers or other forwarders."

But thank you for finding the links and including them so I could review.
-Rob

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...