Splunk Dev

default.xml definition uses Splunk for AWS add-ons instead of the one provided

LegalPrime
Path Finder

Architecture: 3 search-heads in a cluster, captain dynamically elected, 1 search head deployer that is not one of the search head servers.

I go to $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/shcluster/apps/, create my app, add local/data/ui/{nav/default.xml,views/(empty)} that is valid (per https://dev.splunk.com/enterprise/docs/developapps/createapps/addnavsplunkapp/)

Push type is merge_to_default - so when I run splunk apply shcluster-bundle command, it should merge the local folder into default and deploy that. That doesn't happen, however.

When I check the app on SearchHeads I see that the app is deployed, but there are only two folders inside: default with app.conf:

[ui]
is_visible = 1
show_in_nav = 1
label = Testing Label
[launcher]
author = myname
description = Some label
version = 1.0
[install]
install_source_checksum = <digest>

The second folder metadata contains single file metadata.local with nothing particularly interesting (except version that I am running on - 8.0.2). Note default.xml (or any other UI stuff) is nowhere to be found.

When I open the app on the search heads UI, I can select it from navigation and I am automatically redirected to Appname/Inputs despite this is not defined anywhere in my default.xml that I created on SHD.

I dig a little bit and found that /Inputs are defined in Splunk for AWS Addon's default.xml that is apparently being used for the application. I can also make my search head app to use my default.xml if I manually create local folder on each of the search heads - but I don't find this approach good from the maintenance perspective.

My questions:

1: Where should I put my default.xml on SH deployer for it to be deployed and used on Search Heads?

2: Why does SearchHead automatically assigns default.xml from different app? Can I configure this somewhere? Can I maybe create a new default.xml to be selected to be used for this app (and future apps I create)?

Thank you for your time!

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...