Splunk Dev

Why there is an GET call to rum.statuscake.com:8000 in Splunk answers page

krishnarajb2304
Explorer

Hi Splunkers,

This is not related to Splunk product details, found something interesting on splunk answers page. Raising this out of curiosity.

Found the below network call in Splunk answers page, using developer tools, network. google it with the domain name, Seems like some paid service for monitoring the web page activities.

https://rum.statuscake.com:8000/?loadTime=8031&fetchStart=1504046799738&LoadEvent=1504046807769&domR...

Interesting factor is 8000 port, so I can assume there is some splunk running. what information it try to fetch?

My curiosity questions are,

1. What the above call will do?
  2. Splunk using external service to monitor the website? or statuscake is using splunk to monitor ?

Thanks,

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

8000 is a commonly used port as are 80, 8080, 8888, and 443.

This is just a service they use to monitor the website.

See statuscake.com for more details.

The call to their remote endpoint is just submitting data related to your visit to the website.

krishnarajb2304
Explorer

there is no option for survey or something like that in the ui? So you are saying Splunk is paying statuscake.com to monitor the splunk answers page?
are you assuming this based on the service call end point / website info / you are aware of it?

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Based on the legit looking page over at statuscake.com... i guess.

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@ppablo can you confirm please?

0 Karma

krishnarajb2304
Explorer

Contact Information for the domain taken from

https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=rum.statuscake.com

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...