Splunk Dev

Why is there no ingestion of Splunk Object from Splunk Add-on Builder?

Krandark
Observer

I am currently working on an integration from a python scrip, collecting a JSON object, and parsing it to an event via the Splunk Add-on Builder however the object does not seem to appear within Splunk. 

From the Add-on Builder code, I have a loop that cycles round an array extracting objects to ingest as events:

for item in item_group:
  helper.log_warning(item)
  stat_time = int(time.time())
  event = helper.new_event(time=stat_time,source="Addon-Helper", index="testing", sourcetype="_json", data=json.dumps(item))
  ew.write_event(event)
  helper.log_warning(event)

When I pull the extract from the log I get:

2022-03-08 10:43:56,350 WARNING pid=59367 tid=MainThread file=base_modinput.py:log_warning:302 | {'field_1': 'value_string', 'field_2': 'value_string', 'field_3': 'value_float', 'field_4': 'value_string', 'field_5': ['value_IP'], 'field_6': 'value_string', 'field_7': value_time, 'field_8': 'value_string', 'field_9': 'value_string'}

2022-03-08 10:43:56,351 WARNING pid=59367 tid=MainThread file=base_modinput.py:log_warning:302 | <splunklib.modularinput.event.Event object at 0x7f9072656250>

However, there is nothing added to the "testing" index, nor on wildcard search, nor on error searching for ingestion. 

In addition I have tried seeing the data field to a string, which still creates the object but Splunk does not seem to parse it:

event = helper.new_event(time=stat_time,source="Addon-Helper", index="testing", sourcetype="_json", data="Testing String")
ew.write_event(event)

This may simply be a staring too long at a problem kind of challenge and missing something basic but any help would be great. 

Labels (4)
Tags (4)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...