Splunk Dev

Why are default values not working for Add-on Builder Configuration/Add-on Setup Parameters?

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Shouldn't the "Default value" for this 'Add-on Setup Parameter' get saved in the respective conf file's default file? Or do anything, for that matter? I see it the 'Display initial text' renders when the Configuration UI is loaded but since no value for this is set in the 'default' file there effectively is no value set anywhere - resulting in a broken add-on since it's not "fully configured".

sloshburch_1-1659407405679.png

Said another way: The default values for Add-on Setup Parameters don't seem to get saved into the respective default conf file created (default/<ta_name>.conf). Conversely, any default values for the Data Input properties do get saved in the proper place in default/inputs.conf . I see some of this info is saved in the <ta_name>_rh_settings but that seems to only handle the setup pages. The result of this missing default config is that when I try to save a new instantiation of the input it won't work because it's missing those critical Add-on Setup Parameters. I'm not AoB expert so maybe I'm doing something wrong here?

Cross post: https://splunk-usergroups.slack.com/archives/C04DC8JJ6/p1659404655720859

Labels (1)
0 Karma

dfederschmidt_s
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I can reproduce this behavior on the latest Add-On Builder from Splunkbase. Not sure if it always this way or changed recently. 

When creating a new Add-On, you’ll get the default in bin/<ta>_rh_settings.py as part of the source code as well as client-side in ./appserver/static/js/build/globalConfig.json
Once the value is changed via the UI, it is saved in local/<ta>_settings.conf.

If I’m understanding this right then this would fail a new input unless the global setting has been modified at least once through the UI in some way. If someone simply wants to use the default value, they would not actually get that because helper.get_global_setting tries to read the conf file directly (which does not exist at this point. 

The workaround is, in case of global settings, to simply go to the page and save the default. This will create the conf file in local and everything works as expected. A more radical alternative is to use the account-level settings only. Since there are no accounts created by default, there will always be a conf file saved there.

The workaround based on 

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Ok, I'm pretty sure this is a bug so I filed TAB-3048

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...