Splunk Dev

What is the best way to back up config files?

nawazns5038
Builder

Hi,

In order to take a backup of the config files, I have copied a file to, let's say, authorize.conf_bak_03_21_2018 .

Will Splunk read the settings from the above file? I am assuming that it will not.
But why am I getting following error message in the internal logs?

ERROR Archiver - Failed to open  file="/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/authorize.conf_bak_03_21_2018":
             Permission denied 

What is the best way to backup the config files and save them in the same folder?

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

I normally create a /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/bckup folder and place the backup files there. The error you see gives another reason not to place the backup files in the same directory.

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Does the user running Splunk have read permissions on the mentioned file? The permission denied implies a filesystem permissions issue

0 Karma

horsefez
Motivator

Hi @nawazns5038,

try to go for something like this:

authorize.bak
inputs.bak
outputs.bak
props.bak
transforms.bak

If you want to include the backup date, you could also create a folder with the date as its name.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...